Hello. I am a newcomer to Daniweb and need some advice. I've been using Ubuntu regularily on several PCs and note books installing without problems until now. I have just purchased an Acer Aspire ES 11 (ES1-132-CONU) that is using an Intel Celeron Quad Core 3450 processor launced Q3'16 possibly from the Kaby Lake 7th gen batch.

Installation USB /CDs for versions 14.04 and 16.04 won't boot. Version 16.1 will boot and I can go thru the 'try without installing' and without any problem. Then after adjusting the Windows 10 partition, etc. and installing Ubuntu 16.1, can only boot to Windows 10 with Windows Boot Loader. I can boot with the Ubuntu installation USB again, run 'try without installation' then download 'Boot-Repair' and repair/install Grub. Still no success.

This machine doesn't have the firmware Legacy option for an old BIOS setup. I've configured the machine's UEFI firmware to many combinations. I've even removed the original harddrive and installed a new harddrive then installed Ubuntu 16.1 but still won't boot. I even cloned the orginal harddrive with Windows 10 and using that clone, have done some serious modifications to Windows while attempting to load Ubuntu. The whole adventure seems like Windows 10 'only' is designed for that processor like it has it's UUID or product code now burned into Acer's firmware memory. I even unplugged the battery and removed the CMOS battery overnight thinking I would clear some Windows identity but without success.

I have run out of ideas. I'd sure appreciate some help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Time to read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI (again if you already did.)

The Celeron looks to be 64 bit so be sure your selected Ubuntu is 64 for the reasons given in the Ubuntu UEFI article.

Thanks for the advise.

My latest attempt is I've installed a brand new harddrive and then booted with the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 16.1 and it booted ok with the 'try without installing' option. Then I've installed that 16.1 ok. Afterwards, I still could not boot. I then booted again with the installation USB to "try without installing" option, then loaded Boot-Repair and ran the recommended repair. Afterwards, I still cannot boot. This machine seems to be UEFI only. I have the firmware security 'off'. My Boot-Repair URL is http://past2.org/M4t2nLBF and I've sent that URL to Boot-Repair address and started a thread about this problem on the Ubuntu forum as well.

Appreciate any other advise. Thanks

OK, it's time to bring something onto the table. It's this.

Not all distros run on all machines.

I have this Intel NUC with some dual core Intel and a good 8 out 10 distros either didn't run from the SSD or failed in various ways. In the end I went with what ran and today might try it again as it's been about 8 months and distros advance. I'm not into fixing a distro today.

Another thing. Any "Signature PC" and I'm advising to never do this.

That URL. Are you sure about that?

SOLVED!

It is all about the Brave New World of UEFI.

After many unsuccessful tries with 16.10, I started trying 17.04 and succeeded but what I learned probably works for 16.10 as well, too.
First I did a clean install of version 17.04 and it loaded ok, same as 16.1 but it wouldn't boot either so I then went to: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html
I downloaded the program - rEFInd onto a rebootable USB drive and booted. Then I selected the Shell terminal and followed the instructions that were offered at:
http://gnu-linux.org/how-to-permanently-add-linux-entry-in-uefi-menu.html
The whole process is well explained. After I was successfully booted, I re-ran that eEFInd program and it made settings to the sda1 boot partition.
My new Acer with the new generation processor and no legacy firmware option is booting and running 17.04 quite well now.

commented: Thanks for the update. So much for it just works. Thanks UEFI! +12
commented: Thank you for sharing! +14
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.