hi guys !!!!
if any one can let me knw where i can find a unix downloadable file tat would be really helpful....
i dont mind the version , though would prefer the latest....
plz take immediate notice and help me!!!1
am in a bit of a hurry....
thank u in advance!

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by conbot

you mean the UNIX OS?

you cant just download it as it is propieratary e.g HP/UX or AIX

If you want a free system that is very like UNIX then take a look at FreeBSD

and no, we're not here at your beg and call to answer your questions immediately.

Your tone is extremely rude, suggesting you're more important than anyone else in the world.

hi guys !!!!
if any one can let me knw where i can find a unix downloadable file tat would be really helpful....
i dont mind the version , though would prefer the latest....
plz take immediate notice and help me!!!1
am in a bit of a hurry....
thank u in advance!

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/

opensolaris is a pain for first time unixeres and has high requirements

yes but why not go with linux!

>because he said unix, as the name says, GNU/Linux is not Unix
Neither is FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, etc.. They're all clones of the original Unix creations, which are now dead.

FreeBSD is just used as a popular alternative to Unix because it's more pure (one distribution pretty well), gives a close feel to the original Unices, and has less restrictive licences for commercial software than Linux. Technically however, FreeBSD has the same relationship to Unix as Linux does to Unix.

AFAIK the BSD branch was derived straight from Unix, while GNU was a rewritten Unix-like independent development originally by LT

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.