Okay, I am about to pull my hair out. I installed Linux XP and decided that I should stay with windows. Unfortunately, the PC is not booting from the XP CD. I have no idea, now, how to unistall this OS. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't do the whoe floopy boot thing seeing that this PC has no floppy drive. I am out of ideas, standing by for yours. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

>Unfortunately, the PC is not booting from the XP CD.
How is it not booting from the XP CD? Have you configured the BIOS so that the CD drive is the top boot priority?

>Unfortunately, the PC is not booting from the XP CD.
How is it not booting from the XP CD? Have you configured the BIOS so that the CD drive is the top boot priority?

Oh yeah. I have reconfigured many times.

Tried resetting the BIOS to factory settings? Or tried flashing it? (Popping out the CMOS battery for a minute, then putting it back in.)

Tried resetting the BIOS to factory settings? Or tried flashing it? (Popping out the CMOS battery for a minute, then putting it back in.)

I put the settings back the way they were before I started. As for the CMOS battery. I have no idea what you are talking about. I will do a little research for the specific PC that I have and see what I come up with. Thanks for helping me though, I really appreciate it.

I put the settings back the way they were before I started.

There *should* be an option in most BIOSs to "restore to factory settings". This often works.

As for the CMOS battery. I have no idea what you are talking about.

It involves taking off your computer's case, finding the BIOS/CMOS on the motherboard, and then popping off a (usually) round watch battery. Good luck.

Is the pc by any chance an IBM or a Dell?

If so try hitting f11 or f12

Is the pc by any chance an IBM or a Dell?

If so try hitting f11 or f12

Nah. Its an HP.

Hmm. Check the system manual. I have a wierd IBM laptop and no matter what you set the boot order too it never wants to boot from the windows cd? I alwats have to hit the key when it says "Hit xx to choose a boot device"

Linux uses Ext2, Ext3 & ReiserF when creating partitions. Whereas Windows is either fat32 or NTFS (or NFTS which ever way round it is).
Unfortunately Windows hates the Linux partition types and doesnt like reading them natively, where-as Linux can read/write to NTFS partitions.

What you need to do is download either Gparted or Parted Magic, burn the ISO image, boot from the CD (if you can, which you should be able to) and then delete the Linux partitions.
You can then either resize your win partition, or create a new partition to take up the space that you created, when deleting the linux partitions.
Im not sure why your being asked to re-set the cmos, and Ive never heard of this then giving you the option of booting from CD / Floppy in the bios ????? The options for bootable media should be in your bios list as standard, unless someone wants to correct me on this point. Plus how far are you getting with the booting from your win install media ? Because win doesnt like linux partitions, it may be causing errors because of incompatibility between partition types. Hence why you need a dedicated partition program.

Having a Dell Inspiron 1200 setup as a dual boot, Win XP and Ubuntu. I find that gparted is the best program to use as a live disc, for mucking about with Windows and Linux partitions.

Hope this helps

fat32 or NTFS (or NFTS which ever way round it is).

ist NTFS because windows runs the NT kernel - NT FileSystem

Unfortunately Windows hates the Linux partition types and doesnt like reading them natively, where-as Linux can read/write to NTFS partitions.

thats recent. Readinghas only been in the last few years, andwriting in about the last one or two. Until then it was fraught with danger.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.