Hi. I wish to make a small HOME network composed of a Windows XP professional, Windows Xp Home edition, Centos 4.3.

I have connected each computer to a router. The router is connected to the internet.
I am sure that the hardware settings are correct : in fact, each computer can be pinged with 0% packet loss
I have also installed and configured samba on my Centos. The samba installation also works out since i can connect to the this same computer.

However, the Centos machine doesn't appear under my workgroup computers, and i can't connect to my microsoft machines with the smbclient //machine name/resource, command. Therefore I still can't share any resources through my networked computers.

I would also like to ask the following questions:
the samba software need to be installed on all computers or only on the linux pc?
the windows machines need any configuration before i could share resources?

Thanks for anyone who tries to help.

BS.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi. I wish to make a small HOME network composed of a Windows XP professional, Windows Xp Home edition, Centos 4.3.

I have connected each computer to a router. The router is connected to the internet.
I am sure that the hardware settings are correct : in fact, each computer can be pinged with 0% packet loss
I have also installed and configured samba on my Centos. The samba installation also works out since i can connect to the this same computer.

However, the Centos machine doesn't appear under my workgroup computers, and i can't connect to my microsoft machines with the smbclient //machine name/resource, command. Therefore I still can't share any resources through my networked computers.

the samba software need to be installed on all computers or only on the linux pc?

BS.

I have tried t link mione together also. You only need the linux and samba on the linux machine. Make sure all the othr machine in Msoft are set to share drive c/
I still cant get printers to work though!

I use kubuntu nd the setting up was fairly ok. I also use same user and passwaord on all machines!

Bye

>I also use same user and passwaord on all machines!

That's not safe to do.

>Make sure all the othr machine in Msoft are set to share drive c/

No.

in fact, each computer can be pinged with 0% packet loss

That's good!

However, the Centos machine doesn't appear under my workgroup computers

Can you see each of your windows PC's from the other windows PC?

and i can't connect to my microsoft machines with the smbclient //machine name/resource, command.

How exactly are you trying to connect from CentOS? (I don't use it, so be specific!) Are you using nautilus/gnome?

Only on the linux PC.

maybe, try these steps:

1. Make sure you start the samba service on your linux PC. For me this involves the command:
    /etc/init.d/samba start
  2. Make sure all machines have the firewall turned off (you can turn it back on later once you get things working)
  3. Choose a domain master browser - probably your linux PC. How are you configuring CentOS? Are you using http://localhost:901 or something else?
  4. Make sure each machine is on the same workgroup. This just involves using the same workgroup name for each one, usually "WORKGROUP".
  5. Make sure your windows PC's are not trying to connect to a domain.

BS.

No worries. Try those steps and let me know how you go.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.