I have a strange issue that has been bothering me for quite some time now.

I have a Macbook that will not connect correctly to my home network via wireless. The issue becomes noticeable when the Mac leaves and then comes back, but won't connect automatically back onto the network

Currently all I can give from the computer is that it is running OS X-SL but not fully sure of version number.

As for the network;

Netgear N600 Wireless
-Config:
--Wireless B&G Enabled
---Security WPA-Personal
--DHCP Server is active
---Reservation for Macbook IP Address is set

Though I can get the computer to connect, I end up restarting the Airport and then manually selecting the wireless and putting in the pass phrase before it can be used.

This is the only Mac in house, all other computers are Windows PCs and one central network printer. If I need to map out the network for anyone here than I can. But it only seems to be between the Mac and the wireless.

Not sure of anything else that may be needed but if so then I should be able to get it posted up within 24 hours of the request.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I had a similar issue with my hackintosh, the problem is with the wireless security, i see that you are using WPA, so perhaps you are using the TKIP cyphering, just change it to AES restart your router and voila!!! hav phun

PS: If you cannot change from TKIP to AES try upgrading your firmware or changing security to WPA2, happy new year.

Well, we have the latest firmware installed on the router, as stated by the update client, but swapping the TKIP to AES didn't change anything for the Mac, doing that kick a few other devices off the network.

I did some digging around and I found our old router, Netgear WNDR3300, which was used before with the Mac. Since we had no issues with that router and the Mac, I just hooked it up, applied the saved config file for it from almost two years ago that I had on a storage drive, and the Mac picked it up and went on.

So far no issues but now comes a question of what is different between the Netgear N600 WNDR3400 and the Netgear WNDR3300. With the WNDR3300 the Mac seems to be working fine now without issues. Will know more by the week end.

Well you have to troubleshoot to get connected.

Well i just shared what happened to me, i have read that tkip and OS X cant live together ;) anyway try to troubleshoot your network and post, you can use wireshark to capture packets, cheers.

That's entirely possible, I've heard of others having the same issue, but with the older router, I'll have to dig into it's settings, but everything seems to be working just fine for now. I'll be grabbing some more information as time goes on. Thanks for the help on this matter.

What a bummer dude! I love my FIOS on my MacBook Pro.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.