confused: I am looking for Mac wisdom on a G3 Beige that I am reinstalling Panther... it has a G4 processor, an 8g partition for osX, but Panther has been acting funny, so I'm trying to reinstall it. The problem is that it gets to the end of the install and shows up with a black screen and a message in several languages that is somewhat unreadable, but refers to restarting (that's what should happen anyway...) but there's no way to reset it. I can force it to restart, but it shows up again. I can boot from the cd, which takes me back to os9 and x-post facto, but that's it. Any advice to get me over this hump? is Panther just too much for this g3/G4 setup???

I am looking for Mac wisdom on a G3 Beige that I am reinstalling Panther... it has a G4 processor

Make up your mind! Is it a G3 or a G4? It can't be both.

is Panther just too much for this g3/G4 setup???

If Panther's been installed before, it should still work fine now.

What I would try is backing up your data, and then completely erasing the hard disk. You can do this quite easily by booting from the Panther disk, from the menubar choose Utilities (or is it "Tools"...)->Disk Utiility and from there you can probably figure out how to erase the hard disk. Proceed with the rest of the installation, and hopefully it should work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.