Have just bought a new imac with tiger installed. Have two printers, an HP 7410xi wireless printer and an older apple laserwriter select 360. I bought the asantetalk bridge for the laser writer.

1st question is, how do I get my laserwriter to work. I plugged in the asante ethernet device. selected appletalk under networking and sharing and I still can't get the laser writer to show up in the print utility. Can anyone help?

thanks. As soon as I get this thing up and printing I can dump my old 8500 power PC and the huge monitor with it.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

This could be tricky for you concerning the LaserWriter Select. It is a postscript printer, so you should be able to make a printer for it, and use any postscript driver for basic printing functionality. I have not used the Asante hardware to convert from ethernet to Localtalk / Serial / Parallel. It should be rather interesting; I wish I had the setup to expirement with it.

I do know that I had to stop using my Personal Laserwriter LS because it lacked Postscript, and I wasn't about to try and force it to run. I let it and my 7100 go to a cousin who is a student, and let her get what she needs out of the system before it breathes the last.

Christian

Thanks Christian. I was finally able to fix the problem. Apple couldn't figure it out either. I finally started playing around with appletalk settings. To get it to work, I had to create an appletalk network as if there were another computer hooked up to it. As soon as I renamed the new network, the printer showed up. It works great. It just took awhile to figure it out.

Thanks! Hope you have better luck!

Hello,

This could be tricky for you concerning the LaserWriter Select. It is a postscript printer, so you should be able to make a printer for it, and use any postscript driver for basic printing functionality. I have not used the Asante hardware to convert from ethernet to Localtalk / Serial / Parallel. It should be rather interesting; I wish I had the setup to expirement with it.

I do know that I had to stop using my Personal Laserwriter LS because it lacked Postscript, and I wasn't about to try and force it to run. I let it and my 7100 go to a cousin who is a student, and let her get what she needs out of the system before it breathes the last.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.