ok, to put a stop to this silliness, I have said what I have said. The fact that I said "trust me" doesn't mean that you ABSOLUTELY MUST trust me. but if you do trust me - just take what I said and keep it in mind.

dixi.

OK, OK. When I started this thread I had a legit question after buying a 17", Toshiba, laptop that had one major drawback--Vista. I tried Dell but had no success. Another site responded that Microsoft had a download that would establish a "virtual XP computer" (whatever that is) on a Vista computer and all XP software worked fine. What is a "virtual XP computer"? Just keeping on topic. Thanks, Thor

Just checked the other site and the language actually used is, "virtual PC" on Vista that would allow use of XP software. It comes from MicroSoft as a download. ????????? Thor

This is very cool software that allows you to run a different operating system(s) on your computer. It's called "virtual" because it runs in memory, not from the HD. It's not like dual booting or parallels, for instance.
It's not hard to setup, but it was a real dog on my laptop, which is the only place I've tried it.

Thor,

What I don't understand is that we've posted evidence directly from various wevb sites that XP is available fom Dell on a range of their equipment.

That's how we got into who said what on the telephone. For what my opinion is worth, you should put together the configuration you want on the web site and order it from there.

It's what I do.

Let us know.

Thor,
That's how we got into who said what on the telephone. For what my opinion is worth, you should put together the configuration you want on the web site and order it from there.

Just to be clear...wasn't that what I said 2 weeks ago? :p

I wouldn't bother talking to anyone on the phone. Order it through the online custom process. That way, you won't get some idiot in sales who doesn't know XP from OS2.

Good luck, Thor! Avoid salesman stupidity...order ONLINE! :)

@ Darvus

haven't we had this I / WE thing before? Or was it someone else?

Got the referral to Dell. Online queries usually are answered with boilerplate autoresponse, which I detest, so I try for personal contact. Either way I think the respondent could be "some idiot in sales" with little knowledge to answer my questions. I didn't ignore anybody's advice...it just didn't work out for me. I'll give it another shot and maybe I'll have better luck. Thanks, T

The web site, Thor. The web site!

Hugh V
So the initials following your name are:
BS (Bachelor in Science), BH and CIB.
BH is ?
CIB is (down the hall from the CIA?)
:) Thor

You can NO LONGER buy a laptop without Vista. Sorry guys. Just left a year of employement with Microsoft in Vista Support. haha. XP is slowly being forced out, and Microsoft wants NOTHING to do with it anymore. Including offering it, or the support for it. If you want a laptop with XP you will now need to do it manually, by removing Vista, which actually isnt too bad, and then configuring the laptop with XP. Which also isnt too bad if you already have a version of it. XP product keys can be used on up to 3 computers, where as Vista can only be used on one, so you can use a previously used product key on your new laptop for the newly configured laptop.

Slowly being phased out, maybe. But you would also know that XP SP3 is due in the second quarter of '08. XP support will be around for some time now. Besides, Dell for one IS offering computers with XP. Verify your facts before making any such claims.

You can NO LONGER buy a laptop without Vista. Sorry guys. Just left a year of employement with Microsoft in Vista Support. haha. XP is slowly being forced out, and Microsoft wants NOTHING to do with it anymore. Including offering it, or the support for it. If you want a laptop with XP you will now need to do it manually, by removing Vista, which actually isnt too bad, and then configuring the laptop with XP. Which also isnt too bad if you already have a version of it. XP product keys can be used on up to 3 computers, where as Vista can only be used on one, so you can use a previously used product key on your new laptop for the newly configured laptop.

That's funny, because my impression was that the EULA specifically stated you can only use any copy of their operating system on ONE computer. If you move it, you have to remove it from the old computer. The 3-install thing was regarding activations...more than 3 in a 90-day period (or somesuch) required activation by phone, but before that, you could technically install it on different machines without raising any red flags at Microsoft.

I really don't care what anyone does with their copy of Windows, just wanted to make sure you weren't promoting illegal usage of a software product on a moderated forum. I'm not a moderator and I really don't care, but I think this is an inappropriate place to say such things.

Admittedly, I could be wrong...but that's no part of any EULA I've ever heard in regards to their OS. Now, Office is another story, but I just use OpenOffice.org anyway. :p

In any event, despite what you say, Dell is STILL offering XP on many of their laptops. I double-checked just to be sure.

Please make sure you check all your facts before posting.

Opinions, however, are another matter entirely. :p

Slowly being phased out, maybe. But you would also know that XP SP3 is due in the second quarter of '08. XP support will be around for some time now. Besides, Dell for one IS offering computers with XP. Verify your facts before making any such claims.

Verify my facts? I worked with them for a year. XP SP3 only came around because of the PURE hatred that most people are showing for Vista. So maybe you have some researching to do yourself. XP IS being removed. XP support is NOT being offered through Microsoft anymore. They are refusing to give ANY support on XP. Please, give them a call. They will laugh at you.

Next time you aren't right, please try not to be completely rude.

That's funny, because my impression was that the EULA specifically stated you can only use any copy of their operating system on ONE computer. If you move it, you have to remove it from the old computer. The 3-install thing was regarding activations...more than 3 in a 90-day period (or somesuch) required activation by phone, but before that, you could technically install it on different machines without raising any red flags at Microsoft.

I really don't care what anyone does with their copy of Windows, just wanted to make sure you weren't promoting illegal usage of a software product on a moderated forum. I'm not a moderator and I really don't care, but I think this is an inappropriate place to say such things.

Admittedly, I could be wrong...but that's no part of any EULA I've ever heard in regards to their OS. Now, Office is another story, but I just use OpenOffice.org anyway. :p

In any event, despite what you say, Dell is STILL offering XP on many of their laptops. I double-checked just to be sure.

Please make sure you check all your facts before posting.

Opinions, however, are another matter entirely. :p

You are allowed THREE legal uses of one Microsoft License. No more. Vista allows ONE use per license.

And once again, read my reply to previous.

You are allowed THREE legal uses of one Microsoft License. No more. Vista allows ONE use per license.

And once again, read my reply to previous.

License agreement, page 1, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (retail)

"1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer."

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

'nuff said.

You just rolled a '1' on your "BLUFF" check. FAIL. ;p
(sorry, cheap D&D jab...was worth it)

Thor

Do us all a flavour and marked this damn thread as SOLVED!

PH: Purple Heart
CIB: Combat Infantry Badge

Thor

Do us all a flavour and marked this damn thread as SOLVED!

Aye, I'll second that.

I'm currently contimplating calling Microsoft right now and recording the conversation to prove a point being as stubborn as I am. Hmm....

My brain hurts...thanks, DarlingNikki...

@Thor - not sure how it happened, or who started it, but sorry for the thread hijacking.

Good luck!

XP IS being removed. XP support is NOT being offered through Microsoft anymore.

This website here shows that support for Windows XP Pro will end on 14th April 2009.

yeah, M$ is trying to force XP out, as well as they are trying to force the hands of all hardware vendors into abandoning XP.
But not everyone listens to M$, when they can listen to the customer.

To All Who Have Enjoyed This Thread--Update
Because of your insistence (good thing) I recontacted Dell, got another rep, received emailed quotes on two machines with XP. The speed of the dual processors was slower than what I had wanted but I'm working off a single 2 Gig, M4 machine now. Quote 1 was for a 15" laptop (strange how XP wasn't possible on the first go round), Quote 2 was for a 17" laptop but it came with Vista and a caution that maybe it would not work w/AutoCAD 2000.
So progress has been made. I wish the 17" did not have the caveats as I really just want to upgrade my own little environment and not have to problem solve glitch 1, then glitch 2, etc. I just thought I could get a better tool for the job.
Finally, being a new and casual user of daniweb I didn't know that it was up to me to mark the thread as solved. I have appreciated your patience and contributions. You have proved to be a valuable resource. I'm at niwenterprises@yahoo.com should anybody have any other flashes of brilliance. I see the "Mark as Solved" directly above this reply window so I will post my thanks first just to be sure it works and then return to mark the thread as solved (by you guys) Thanks, Thor

hey, no problem. the general XP compatibility guide would be to simply go to the manufacturer's offsite, and look for XP drivers. If there are drivers for the desired model - Bob's you uncle :)

Dell Lattitude D520 (the one I use) XP drivers page
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=LATITUDE%20D520&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Compaq Presario C700T XP drivers page
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3632144&lang=en

Glad we could be of help, Thor. Again, sorry about the thread hijacks, but hopefully you were able to get some useful information from it.

I'm glad you finally got someone who knew what they were talking about. I know it's frustrating when dealing with people in sales who don't know all the facts...or conveniently forget certain ones...

Take care!

shrink the volume via vista and install xp on the second shrinked partition. worked for my friend!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.