Hello everyone.

I'm here just to ask a simple question.
The link I'm about to show you is about a certain video card which I've been saving up to buy it.
This is the Geforce 8800 GT
The requirements and other information is shown here:
GPU NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Core Clock 625MHz (vs. 600MHz standard)
Shader Clock 1566MHz (vs. 1500MHz standard)
Fill Rate 35 Billion/sec.
Stream Processors 112
Memory
Video Memory 512MB
Memory Type GDDR3
Memory Data Rate 1800MHz
Memory Bandwidth 57.6GB/sec.
Connections
Bus Type PCI Express 2.0
Connector(s) 2 Dual-Link DVI-I, HDTV + TV Out
Multiple Monitor Support Yes
HDCP Yes (Requires other compatible components which are HDCP capable. Designed to meet the output protection management (HDCP) and security specifications of the Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats, allowing the playback of encrypted movie content on PCs when connected to HDCP-compliant displays)
RAMDACs Dual 400MHz
Included In Box
> BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB graphics card
> Quick install guide
> Two DVI to VGA adapters
> Dual 4-pin Molex to single 6-pin PCI Express power adapter
> HDTV adapter
> Driver CD, which includes: NVIDIA ForceWare unified graphics drivers and Full installation manual .pdf
Minimum System Requirements
> 1GB of system memory
> Microsoft Windows Vista -or- Windows XP
> CD or DVD-ROM drive
> 50MB of available hard disk drive space for basic driver installation
> 425W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 28A or more (Minimum system power requirement based on a standard PC configured with an Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor)
> PCI Express-compliant motherboard with one vacant PCI Express x16 slot
> One 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector -or- Two 4-pin Molex supplementary power connectors

http://www.pcvonline.com/productDetails.aspx?id=6299

As you can see, I'm asking whether or not if my computer will work with it.

You can find my specs here:
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Language: English
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUS), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2046MB Ram
Current Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT

Thanks is appreciated for anyone who can help.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I dont think your HP has a big enough power supply. Check the label on the Power Supply to figure out how many watts it is. I also doubt it has the extra connectors, but you should bee able to get splitters for them. Also the bad news is that HPs, Dells etc... tend to be custom so you cant just replace the Power Supply easialy.

I dont think your HP has a big enough power supply. Check the label on the Power Supply to figure out how many watts it is. I also doubt it has the extra connectors, but you should bee able to get splitters for them. Also the bad news is that HPs, Dells etc... tend to be custom so you cant just replace the Power Supply easialy.

Well, I did what you asked and I checked the back of my computer.

And I saw this:
AC Input 100-127V - 6.0A
50/60Hz 200-240V - 3.0A

Is that it?

It should say something about wattage.

e.g mine says peak wattage: 350w

If you computer is running a 7600 GT it is most likely a PCI-E card and will probably be using the additional 6 pin power supply connected to the card, that will most we be required by the 8800 GT

That means that it should be able to handle the 8800 GT

but as the other chap has mentioned about power you will need to check the power supply just to be sureand that means opening up the case.

I would have to disagree with the other chap regarding HP's being difficult to change I’m currently using my work pc (as we speak) which is a HP and I opened it up to have a look it seems straight forward enough.

Just check though that you don’t have a warranty sticker covering the screws at the back that release the side panel, (if so you might want to speak to HP or who ever you got the pc from about upgrading rather then risk losing any warranty)

If you can open the side panel do so and have a look at the power unit it will have a sticker on the side of the power supply giving you the output for you pc.

I would have to say with your specs it can’t be less then about 500w I would be surprised if it was.

If you need to find any further information about your pc you can download a free bit of software called system spec from http://www.alexnolan.net/software/sysspec.htm

Unfortunately it doesn’t give power output for your power supply but it can tell you pretty much anything else you want about your pc.

I must add you have chosen a great card to go for, the new 512mb 8800 GTs have great performance due to the new smaller 65nm chips that are used.

Anyway I hope at least some of this info helps you

most hps and dells ship with the bare muinimum psu for the h/w they have

most curent dells are 305w only!

most hps and dells ship with the bare muinimum psu for the h/w they have

most curent dells are 305w only!

really?!!! thats shocking

yeah a 305w in a dell runs the core2, and 2gb ram just fine. You cant replace the dell ones which isd bad (they are custom, atx ones wont work)

yeah a 305w in a dell runs the core2, and 2gb ram just fine. You cant replace the dell ones which isd bad (they are custom, atx ones wont work)

oh i can believe that with dells but the hp's seem to be slighty different, or at least the one i have does

hopefully the chap can just replace the HP psu with a better one.

i've heard that about dells, hence why i would never buy one!

Hello, well, I found my PSU by opening my computer up.

Here it is:
INPUT: 100-127V ~/ 8A 50-60 Hz
200-240V ~/ 4A 50-60 Hz

OUTPUT: +5V === /25A MAX. +12V ===== / 19A MAX
+3.3V ===== / 18A MAX. -12V ==== / 0.8A MAX
+5Vsb ==== / 2A MAX

Please tell me now.

dont trust my maths (it may be wrong but that looks like a ~430w PSU (MAXIMUM). (the max is at which point it will catch fire/melt so it can probably only do about 350ish safely). Its not enough to run your card. The 8800 needs 450-550 in reality (nvidia reccomended is the bare minimum to get the card to run at all but if you ran it with that it would probably cut out when under strain)

having done a bit more research i would have to agree with jbennet on this one, those outputs seem to suggest about 300w.

you will have to upgrade your PSU.

i would honestly say go for a 580w min (which is probably what the bottom line are now considering the top ones are hitting double that)

check that the mobo will take a standard ATX PSU, maybe take a pic or even look for a model number on the board.

hope all this helps

another thing you never mentioned what model number your HP PC is.

can you tell us that?

another thing you never mentioned what model number your HP PC is.

can you tell us that?

Sure, the model is right here.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3340227&lang=en
The link shows the model.

And this link shows the specifications.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00835807&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3340227&lang=en

If this can't work, could anyone please recommend a video card that will work on my computer.
Much thanks appreciated.

just get a new power suppy. They're not that expensive. I'd get 1000watt, just in case i ever upgrade again.

as Jbennet stated you probable wont be able to upgrade the power suppy, but you could call the pc manufaturer or do some onlline research, to see if the PSU can be upgraded..........but you definately need an upgrade for this card to work effectively.

I don't know about HPs, but I know Dells (in addition to having the bare minimum hardware) are a huge pain in the butt to swap components in and out of.

I don't know about HPs, but I know Dells (in addition to having the bare minimum hardware) are a huge pain in the butt to swap components in and out of.

Did you read the thread?
Ive been sayng that for the the last few pages!

Did you read the thread?
Ive been sayng that for the the last few pages!

I did read the thread. You've all been going on about the power supply. I'm talking about form factor in general. And for the record, this thread is still only one page.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.