Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but it looks like a good forum.

I purchased Windows XP x64 Pro(OEM) a few Months ago and I think I made a big mistake in not getting the regular XP x86 Pro version. I am a Home user that just put together a really nice AMD based workstation with an Athlon X2 3800+ and 2 GB of memory. I figure that since it was a 64 bit processor why not get the 64 bit version of Windows XP. I have been away from the tech World for a while and have a lot of new technology to learn. Seems that a lot of the Free software I find has problems with this OS, when the Software drivers don't support 64 bit.

My thinking was skewed from my old tech world thinking when Win 95 and Win NT 4.0 were out. I remember other fellow techs at DELL computers always saying that why in the heck didn't a customer get NT instead of Win 95 because they bought a Pentium Pro Mother Board instead of a regular Pentium. This was my thinking but I believe I am going to have go and purchase the x86 version of XP Pro, just to avoid future Headaches..

Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
kenr77

yeah x64s driver support sucks, vista 64 is a bit better but still bad . only good MS x64 bit is is windows server, and server h/w generally has 64 bit compatible drivers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.