Hi,
I've recently tried to alter my start-up programs using msconfig. When I select the items that I want to remove from the start-up and click apply or OK it says that an "Access Denied Error" was returned and that I may need to log on as the administrator, as I am the admin on this computer I find myself perplexed as to why this would be.

Any ideas/help would be great

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

it maybe caused by spyware/trojan/virus. some will disable msconfig so you can't stop them from running i guess,try spybot search and destroy and ad-aware ,find them at www.filehippo.com

Tried that and unfortunately it hasn't worked. Anyone got any other ideas?

I am using windows XP Pro on an Inspiron 5150.

Because I am the only user of the machine and I don’t take it around with me, I have arranged the log-in procedure so I can re-boot when necessary and make a coffee whilst it doing its thing. I have rather too much software installed, but the main thing is that it works.

I seem to be an administrator: I can do all things I want to (except one, which I’ll come to in a moment).

I get to sign is as ‘Richard’.

Computer Management and Groups shows me as a member of the Administrators Group.

I am using windows XP Pro on an Inspiron 5150.

Because I am the only user of the machine and I don’t take it around with me, I have arranged the log-in procedure so I can re-boot when necessary and make a coffee whilst it doing its thing. I have rather too much software installed, but the main thing is that it works.

I seem to be an administrator: I can do all things I want to (except one, which I’ll come to in a moment.

I get to sign is as ‘Richard’. Windows Computer Management and Groups shows me as a member of the Administrators Group.

Belarc Advisor shows me as an Administrator (see below -- sorry, the formatting of the table has been lost) and seems to confirm that the computer is working OK with a named account (Richard) with administrator privileges.

Users (mouse over user name for details)
local user accounts last logon: Richard
04/03/2008 21:08:54 (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator
never (admin)
ASPNET
never
02/08/2007 12:43:58
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

??

So to the one problem which this arrangement seems to be giving me.
It came to light last years when using Channel 4 on demand, a DRM’d peer-to-peer service in the UK.

C4oD tech support told me I had to reload the latest Windows Media Player and reset the hidden files for DRM.

They said

“Once you right click on the top bar of Windows Media Player above the tabs, a drop down menu should appear with the 'tools' menu. Clicking on 'tools'
should bring up six choices in the sub-menu, Managing Licenses should be the fifth choice down.”

If you have read this far, thank you. This is the nub of this post:

I cannot see the Managing Licences choice in WMP 11, not even greyed out.
Channel 4 say this is because I am not logged in as an administrator.

I am reluctant to tinker with the way I have Windows set up, because (although I appreciate the security risks if someone breaks into the house) the convenience issue prevails for me.

I am sorry for the length of the length of this, my first post here, but I hope some kind soul will be able to help.

Thanks
Richard

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.