I would like to upgrade my video card.

Motherboard: MICRO-STAR MS-6728

My current video card is a GeForce 5600 FX.

What is the best video card I could upgrade to without upgraded my motherboard?

What is midrange video card?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

you need to find out if you have AGp or PCI express card slot

FX 5600 is an agp card... the best card u can go is Geforce 7600GT if im not wrong...

What is midrange video card?

maybe talking about to price!

mmm
Well something cost wise around £100 (~$200) is mid ranged. With top of the range going up to around £300 (~$600). Also are you running XP or Vista?
I am guessing you run XP. In which case you won't need to worry about DirectX 10. If you were thinking of upgrading to vista in the near future you could go for a DirectX 10 card, and stay with your current model until you upgrade.

FX 5600 is an agp card... the best card u can go is Geforce 7600GT if im not wrong...

Yeah, it's a AGP board.

So you think the best card I could go to would be a 7600 GT, which is a AGP. Where is the best place to find details on this card?

Okay. Though what I was really wondering was how do i know if a card is AGP or PCI Express if I were to go searching for another card?

As one site I read was mentioning things about PCI Express...

Okay. Though what I was really wondering was how do i know if a card is AGP or PCI Express if I were to go searching for another card?

As one site I read was mentioning things about PCI Express...

when you go to the store ,they will have a display of video cards and it will say on the box what kind it is ,what you will really need to know is if you board supports both the 1.5 volt and the 3.3 volt cards or just the 1.5 v,as the 3.3 will not work if it only take the 1.5v.

i have a windows xp installer.. i don't know how to reformat my pc.. can u help me bwt this?..tnks..

when you go to the store ,they will have a display of video cards and it will say on the box what kind it is ,what you will really need to know is if you board supports both the 1.5 volt and the 3.3 volt cards or just the 1.5 v,as the 3.3 will not work if it only take the 1.5v.

Hmmm...how do I find this out?

Hmmm...how do I find this out?

it might be written on the card ,or you will need the motherboard specs it will be in them .

when i search the model# you have in a previsous post it looks as though you board goes by 2 numbers ,i get this,MS-6728 =865PE Neo2-PFS
and i have found specs that say it doesn't support the 3.3v agp ,its not the pro agp slot !
also hard to find info on it because it's a older discontinued board .

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/msi/865PENeo2-PFSPlatinumEdition.htm

when i search the model# you have in a previsous post it looks as though you board goes by 2 numbers ,i get this,MS-6728 =865PE Neo2-PFS
and i have found specs that say it doesn't support the 3.3v agp ,its not the pro agp slot !
also hard to find info on it because it's a older discontinued board .

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/msi/865PENeo2-PFSPlatinumEdition.htm

Thanks, I was having a hard time finding specs for the motherboard and couldn't see any such spec on the box for the motherboard.

So, now to figure out what is the best videocard I can use. Thanks. Off to look up some video cards. I may end up just buying a new motherboard...but then I run into the problem of what else I need to upgrade if I do such a thing.

Thanks all for your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.