Hey guys and gals ... looks like i'm 'it' again. I was just getting ready to teach kids a nature program when my boss tags me and says your "it". They bought a new computer for one of the other teachers a month ago and were having problems. It connects to the internet, prints to the network printers but does not access the shared drives and the server.

The computer has vista on it and the server at work is either windows 2000 or 2003. They got another teacher to due the hike ... so im here looking at manuals, googling and learning vista.... what is this creature ... before i got sick it was just coming out and we were using win 2000, XP, Ubuntu, and OS X at work.

She also dumped a problem with network copy machine/scanner..but that's another story.

Any hints guys and gals?

Thanx Ahead of Time
Junyah

PS - Glad to be back

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

What version of vista?

Only business or ultimate support active directory or domains properley

sounds like there really is not much point going for the home versions of vista. do they actually do anything??apart from provide that great media center lol.

no but they are much cheaper, its just like xp home vs xp pro

hey guys .. thanks . the teacher loaded xp on the computer ... low tech / quick solve

Thats a way to solve a Vista problem... Downgrade to XP... lol, but to react on the other topic in here... Home Premium has lots of optimizing possibilities and for lets say Gamers is Home Premium excellent...

no im a gamer and i use xp

unless you want to play DX10 stuff like Crysis then xp is better for games

Well Jbennet, I hear that alot yes, most gamers say that XP pro is better for Gaming, but I run Vista Home Premium, cause I wanted to check it out when it came out cause of my job. But Im also a FPS loony, so I tried that to, after I disabled UAC I had no problem anymore! (and for older games, you can click the start in XP sp2 session)

I read that Vista users should expect a 10-15% loss in frame rate for some games over XP.

i find that games that run well on xp/1gb need ~2gb for the same performance under vista

yeah I agree with that jbennet. Vista uses like 512 ram itself lol

a clean install of vista hp when idle on my pc uses 690mb/2048mb

YES, i DO realize that not all this is actually being used, some is cached

a clean install of XP (when idle) uses 268/2048mb and with the standard windows 2000-style themes and windows it uses 140mb/2048mb

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.