All of the sudden within the past couple of days my server running server 2003 seems to be having some dns issues or atleast I assume they are dns. I can connect to it through remote desktop, but when I open a web browser on it and try to go to a web page (ex. google.com) it says "Internet Explorer could not open the Search Page". I have tried turning off the firewall, messing with IE's pop up blocker, looking for other security settings. This is on an outside static IP paid for and given to me from my ISP. I can ping the gateway, both of the DNS servers, and my own static IP address and I get replies. When I try to ping something like google.com "Ping request could not find the name google.com. Please check the name and try again."

Does anyone have any suggestions that can lead me further to figuring out what is going on?

Some settings to check or something ping? I would be very greatful for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I periodically get similar problems. Finding another (one or more) DNS servers
can help. For example, at
http://www.opennicproject.org/en/

I used to use the ones supplied by my ISP (Verizon), but they would sometimes slow down horribly. Then I tried the ones provided by my hosting vendor, Rochenhost. That was much better but would still sometimes be slow.

Good luck.

I periodically get similar problems. Finding another (one or more) DNS servers
can help. For example, at
http://www.opennicproject.org/en/

I used to use the ones supplied by my ISP (Verizon), but they would sometimes slow down horribly. Then I tried the ones provided by my hosting vendor, Rochenhost. That was much better but would still sometimes be slow.

Good luck.

That fixed the problem. Thank you very much for the insight!

I've been having the same problem

go to tools click internet option the click on connection tab, then check the LAN settings, if proxy server is selected, remove it and try to browse again, it will work cos it solved my problem of such

Thank you, but this thread is two and a half years old and I imagine the original poster has solved the problem in that time :).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.