i have a 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub that i use to network printers and for some reason when i boot my computer up it freezes before loading the windows splash page and will remain frozen until i remove the usb cord then windows all the sudden continues to boot up and works like it should.
I can then plug the usb back in and use the hub. what would cause something like this? i have never had the problem before this just started 2 days ago. i have windows xp with service pack 2. please help me!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Is this a powered hub? How many devices are attached?
Your computer may be looking for devices that were attached previously and are now missing. Delete any such devices.
With the computer running, and the USB hub working, delete all the USB entries in device manager and reboot to force a reinstall of the drivers.

known issue. bios update might fix it on several types on MB.

if it is a powered hub ,just unplug the power supply from it ,and try reboot and see what happens ,i had to take power off mine all together, because my computer would not completely shut down when hub was plugged into power .

it is a powered hub and all 7 ports are in use i also updated the bios and i am still having the same problems

I had the exact same problem and found that one of the power cords on one device plugged into the hub was a little loose. It was supplying power, but not inserted properly. I'd check all devices. You never know!

i have a 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub that i use to network printers and for some reason when i boot my computer up it freezes before loading the windows splash page and will remain frozen until i remove the usb cord then windows all the sudden continues to boot up and works like it should.
I can then plug the usb back in and use the hub. what would cause something like this? i have never had the problem before this just started 2 days ago. i have windows xp with service pack 2. please help me!!!!

umm i used to face this problem, but im not sure this can help you or not?
go to bios and disable option name like booting up from usb

I've had the same problem. Kensington 7 port powered hub.
Only cure was to remove hub. Have not replaced it yet and computer works normally. Has anybody else had a USB port problem of this type?

What do you mean "known issue". I've scoured the net tech sites and haven't seen this answered clearly. Please let us known where this is "known".

What do you mean "known issue". I've scoured the net tech sites and haven't seen this answered clearly. Please let us known where this is "known".

this is known to be an issue with older motherboards. they just would not POST with a USB device attached. a bios update might fix it, as I have mentioned.

I am not going to waste my time googling for this, especially since I've been through this problem before and know the answer. whether to trust me or not is absolutely up to you.

dblpost

I had the same problem for many years on several different mother boards.

Problem:
XP freeze on starup with USB hub connected

I resolved the problem for the first time a few days ago. I made 2 changes to my system and is not sure which one of the 2 it was since I only tested after applying both changes.

1.) Updated my BIOS
2.) In the BIOS menu setting "Resume on USB" or something. Enabled this.

I believe the solution was enabling the "Resume on USB" setting.

Please let me know if this solved your problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.