I want to connect my two pcs. One is using winsows 2000 pro and the other is using xp pro.Is it hard Im not tech savy. Can anyone help me and give me a step by step procedure?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

You can start by looking here:
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-ethernet.asp
The XP netwqork wizard will walk you through the software, but you need to determine what hardware you're going to use.
The easiest way is a router, but read the tutorial and make your own decision.

Buy a router connect it to your modem which connects to internet, now connect bothe the pcs to the router using ethernet cables.

Buy a router connect it to your modem which connects to internet, now connect bothe the pcs to the router using ethernet cables.

but wouldn't that just give both computers internet access ,my knowledge of networking is limited ,but i do think that one computer will need 2 nic card ,cable in and out , and the other need one nic card ,cable in for the others out !!. that is if the first computer has high speed internet coming in via a network card and not a usb device .

You need to do a little more homework.
The router not only gives internet access, but it allows for networking also. This is by far the most intelligent way to do this, as the router provides a layer of security as well.
One Nic per PC will suffice in this scenario.
Get the router working, run the wizard, and you're done.

You need to do a little more homework.

thought so, but who has time for homework .

I realisethe solutions offered are the best but ther eis a very simple way to connect two comuters. get a cross over (important cross over) cable ethernet nad plug one end into each computer;

then u wil then be able to see each other via ethernet automaticlly propvided they are both in the same work group ( see the compute properties) then yu shuld be ableto wrk the two computers as thugh theey were one big computers nad each shuld appear in the network; ( the router and non cross over cablesdo the same but enable grater flexibility)

If they do nott hen tyr using the smae loginand password for each cmputer. one oiftheml wil be connecte to internet and yu may hve tot tell the othr that the first one is the ntenet connection.

BOL

M

I realisethe solutions offered are the best but ther eis a very simple way to connect two comuters. get a cross over (important cross over) cable ethernet nad plug one end into each computer;

then u wil then be able to see each other via ethernet automaticlly propvided they are both in the same work group ( see the compute properties) then yu shuld be ableto wrk the two computers as thugh theey were one big computers nad each shuld appear in the network; ( the router and non cross over cablesdo the same but enable grater flexibility)

If they do nott hen tyr using the smae loginand password for each cmputer. one oiftheml wil be connecte to internet and yu may hve tot tell the othr that the first one is the ntenet connection.

BOL

M

man, that chat speak is annoying !

"man, that chat speak is annoying !"
Oh. I thought it was German.
Seriously folks. Get the Google toolbar which has a very nice spellchecker.

"man, that chat speak is annoying !"
Oh. I thought it was German.
Seriously folks. Get the Google toolbar which has a very nice spellchecker.

after a second read, i think its fingers faster than the brain!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.