i recently tried to install a wireless cardbus adaptor on my thinkpad, & during the process, i received a lot of messages saying that files were missing. this computer was given to me used & do not have the win98se disc, but it is a licensed/registered version. is there any way to fix this problem???

i recently tried to install a wireless cardbus adaptor on my thinkpad, & during the process, I received a lot of messages saying that files were missing. This computer was given to me used & do not have the win98se disc, but it is a licensed/registered version. is there any way to fix this problem?

This is a common problem, as the installer is looking for files from the installation CD--but you may already have the cabinet (.CAB) files on the machine. The default location is Windows\Options\CABs--but they may be elsewhere. If they are not in the default location, use the Windows Find function or the DOS command lines
CD \
Dir *.cab /s /p

to find them. If you do not have the CAB files, get a Windows 98SE CD from somewhere and use it. In either case, see my article Corrupt 98 to find out more.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.