Have you ever had AOL 'break' and move so slow that it's just useless? Most of us probably don't use it, but for the helpless masses who know and understand nothing else, there's a problem latley in AOL 9.0

The only solution is one that AOL won't publicly share. I spent three hours with several folks trying to get someone's AOL working (I installed a wireless network and was told I couldn't leave until their AOL worked again after viruses were cleaned).

I finally got a new employee who suggested a trick: Don't let AOL 9.0 name the file it will go into. Before installation, make a new Folder in the C>Program Files Folder. When prompted, direct AOL into THAT folder; don't let it install automatically.

If any other version of AOL ever had a problem with its registry, it will show up in a new 9.0 install - verify by Searching "ASCD" If more than one shows up, that's the trouble. It's a process that AOL runs and when more than one runs, AOL runs incredibly, impossibly slow.

*You can safely uninstall previous versions of AOL allowing the cab files and downloaded files to remain - Favorites will stay entact.
*You can also benefit from Searching "ASCuninstall" and running that .exe to remove excess ASCD.exe files safely from previous versions.

Perhaps this is a goofy and novice bit of advice. And personally, I detest AOL; but maybe others, like me, would give anything to not spend three hours on the phone with AOL drones for a fifteen minute solution!

Catweazle commented: Sensible piece of advice about installing software +4

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Just reading the first sentence have you contacted AOL to tell them about the problem? Maybe there is a fix out there all ready you don't know about.

Ok now I did read it good luck! Like the last guy why don't you use something else like earthlink or some high speed internet. Not that bad in pricing why spend $20 for a pain in the butt when you can pay $30 for something high speed and 50x times better. Think about it. Get back to us I am dieing to hear a fix lol

Have you ever had AOL 'break' and move so slow that it's just useless? Most of us probably don't use it, but for the helpless masses who know and understand nothing else, there's a problem latley in AOL 9.0

The only solution is one that AOL won't publicly share. I spent three hours with several folks trying to get someone's AOL working (I installed a wireless network and was told I couldn't leave until their AOL worked again after viruses were cleaned).

I finally got a new employee who suggested a trick: Don't let AOL 9.0 name the file it will go into. Before installation, make a new Folder in the C>Program Files Folder. When prompted, direct AOL into THAT folder; don't let it install automatically.

If any other version of AOL ever had a problem with its registry, it will show up in a new 9.0 install - verify by Searching "ASCD" If more than one shows up, that's the trouble. It's a process that AOL runs and when more than one runs, AOL runs incredibly, impossibly slow.

*You can safely uninstall previous versions of AOL allowing the cab files and downloaded files to remain - Favorites will stay entact.
*You can also benefit from Searching "ASCuninstall" and running that .exe to remove excess ASCD.exe files safely from previous versions.

Perhaps this is a goofy and novice bit of advice. And personally, I detest AOL; but maybe others, like me, would give anything to not spend three hours on the phone with AOL drones for a fifteen minute solution!

I changed over to Broadband and aol runs so slow I feel like trashing my new dell computer ! When I call aol most of the time I can`t understand what they are saying !I hate Aol...Dave

Can you say VISTA - Aol 9.0VR works OK on my XP machines.

New install on new HP S3120N - Vista Certified. Slooooow

IE runs O. K. on Vista

Welcome to Daniweb :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.