I am trying to upgrade my version of Internet Explorer to version 6. I have tried to install from the Microsoft upgrade site and I have also downloaded the appropriate file to My Documents, however, when I try to install it I keep getting a message that I need to reboot as an earlier upgrade has pending work requiring a reboot.

I have rebooted over and over again but always get the same message.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am trying to upgrade my version of Internet Explorer to version 6. I have tried to install from the Microsoft upgrade site and I have also downloaded the appropriate file to My Documents, however, when I try to install it I keep getting a message that I need to reboot as an earlier upgrade has pending work requiring a reboot.

At this point, you are going to need to download and run HijackThis (see my malware links below) and post a log to the Security Forum.

I'm pretty sure that what's happening is that you have a virus or Trojan that's abusing the RunOnce function. This function is normally used, for example, when you install software and have to reboot; because of the abuse, Windows always thinks that a reboot is pending. This serves two purposes for the virus writer: it blocks upgrades, and ensures that the scumware is harder to remove.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.