I am having problem opening control panel, it just doesnt opens. When i try to open it the error shown is, explorer left working and will restart. I tried to use restore function but the
restore is also not able to restore the system to an older date.

Please suggest a solution soon

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

This behavior is caused by a damaged .cpl file. These files populate Control Panel with tools.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:

The default location for the .cpl files in Windows NT is in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.

1. Create a new folder on your desktop called "temp" (without quotation marks). To do this, right click and empty area on your desktop, point to New, click Folder, and then type temp.
2. Move all of the .cpl files out of the System32 folder and into the Temp folder that you created.
3. Verify that Control Panel opens. Note that Control Panel does not contain icons after you move all of the .cpl files out of the System32 folder.
4. Move the .cpl files back into the System32 folder, one at a time, and then open Control Panel after you move each file to verify that Control Panel opens.
5. If you move a .cpl file back into the System32 folder, and Control Panel does not open, delete the file, or replace the file with a known, good .cpl file.

commented: Apologies +3

And where might he find the said known, good cpl?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.