Hi guys , its a long story but in short words , how can i disable all the local users and groups on Windows XP , i have a network and i want all the security issues like logging in , etc .... to relay on the server security not the local computer , so i need a way to disable all the local users even the administrators so that my network users can't log-in locally , even with the assigned passwords , still there is hacking utilities that can bypass the local administrator easily on Windows XP even the SP2 version . you may say "install monitoring software" , well ... i would have done that but its kinda automated network and i'm only there 3 days a week only so there is 2 days where "BAD users" can have fun , so .... help please guys!!!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

join each computer to the domain you have on the server. right click my computer, choose properties, go to the tab that say computer, click the change button, give each computer a unique name then in the member of section select the domain option and type the name of the domain ( the name of the server).

thanx 4 the replay , i know what do u mean , i wouldn't have a network in the 1st place if i didn't do that , the problem is not with the network , the problem is Windows XP local security issue , which is : its easy to bypass or remove the Windows XP local administrator password , so my question is if i can't protect local administrator password from being hacked , can i at least disable its account ??

try removing al accounts from the administarator group, that should effectively disable all the administarative rights

w00t

Lock the computer case and password protect the BIOS settings. Set up to boot only from HDD. Do not remove accounts; disable all user accounts except the Administrator. Rename the Administrator account.

this would be a good idea, but may not be the most realistic, he may not be able to lock the case, though renaming the administrator to something like

Billybobjoerulesthisoffice

would prevent many of the software hacks to get in, while still allowing you administrative access in a time of need

Lock the computer case and password protect the BIOS settings. Set up to boot only from HDD. Do not remove accounts; disable all user accounts except the Administrator. Rename the Administrator account.

i thought of this as the last resort locking the case etc ... , but its 150 PC , u c its not that easy , i will try renaming the admin account . thanx .

try removing al accounts from the administarator group, that should effectively disable all the administarative rights

w00t

i will try this , i don't know if its should be at least 1 account in the administrator group or not , but i will try it any way , thanx.

this would be a good idea, but may not be the most realistic, he may not be able to lock the case, though renaming the administrator to something like

Billybobjoerulesthisoffice

would prevent many of the software hacks to get in, while still allowing you administrative access in a time of need

kinda my idea 2 .

ok, well my mentor gave me an idea to tell you

rename the admnistrator account to something outrageous as said before

then make a new limited account named administrator

this way, anyone who hacks may become very frustrated at trying to hack the administrator account, to no avail

muh ha ha ha ha

w00t

ok, well my mentor gave me an idea to tell you

rename the admnistrator account to something outrageous as said before

then make a new limited account named administrator

this way, anyone who hacks may become very frustrated at trying to hack the administrator account, to no avail

muh ha ha ha ha

w00t

that was really a very clever idea , i liked a lot , it will do just fine , thank you very much and thank your mentor too .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.