HELP!

Last night while doing some work for school on my pc, I realized that an update was being downloaded to my computer. I finished my work and was reading email, when prompted to install, which I did. After the install was complete, I was asked to restart the computer, which I did. Unfortunately, I could not get my computer back to the desktop with icons, start menu, etc.. The computer started as usual, the login screen, etc., my desktop picture was there, and NOTHING except for the following message: "EXPLORER.EXE - Entry Point Not Found".....and below that: "The procedure entry point SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll." followed by a button with OK on it. Clicking on the OK button only closed the message box. No icons on my desktop, no system tray, no toolbar, no START button....NADA!

I have searched message boards, troubleshooting, the internet for help, but can find none. I cannot find anything with my specific message. There are plenty with "entry point not found" but not relating to SHCThreadRef or SHLWAPI.dll.

I tried rebooting, but the same thing happened. I tried SAFE MODE and LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION.....nothing. Rebooting in NORMAL MODE doesn't produce any results either. I can, through CTRL-ALT-DELETE, get a couple of programs to open, but still can't get anything to work right. I cannot connect to the internet because my desktop icons aren't available. (I use an older version of CompuServe to connect to the internet, via dial-up, through special instructions, and a separate icon, to be able to use this version of CompuServe with Windows XP. I can't remember what that is, though.) I have seen suggestions to download HiJackThis and use it to diagnose, but I can't download it unless I can get to the internet. ( I am on my laptop tonight.)

I can't get to SYSTEM RESTORE, because I can't find it on my computer because I cannot access that part of the PROGRAMS menu. I thought about using the RECOVERY disk, but as of this writing, do not know where it is nor how to get another one, if possible. Recent A/C flooding caused much of my computer stuff to be placed here and there throughout the house.

Do I give up trying to remedy this by myself and taking it to a repair shop, and if so, can they fix it? Can anyone help? I am totally lost as to what to try next.

Thanx in advance for any help.

donna :cheesy:

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hi Saaski,
I am not familiar with your system, but you can try this. It might work.

When you re-boot hit F8.
Choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt Option.
After you log in you should see the command prompt window.
In this window type: C:\Windows\system32\Restore
When you reach this directory type: rstrui.exe
This should bring up System Restore for you.

Good Luck! ;)

Thanx! I tried it this morning but when I typed the prompt: C:\Windows\system32\Restore, I received the message "C:\Windows\system32\Restore, "C:\Windows\system32\Restore is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". I received the same message after typing "rstrui.exe".

I can manage a computer OK, but not alot of techie lingo, so please keep answers in simple, plain everyday terms.

What other information do you need to try to help me further?

When I tried to access System Restore through SAFE MODE, my monitor kept blinking off, then on, then off, and then on again; each time with a popping noise. When I got home this evening, I turned on the computer.....now I have a popping noise coming from the monitor, even if I do not turn it on! I turn on the computer, then the monitor, but I tried it several times, and the monitor would come on all by itself. There is nothing but a black screen, but the on indicator light blinks off and on and with it, the popping noise.I have Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2. I have recently installed System Mechanic, tried to clean the registry, but computer went to some weird symbol language so I performed an undo as directed by System Mechanic help.

My computer:

HP Pentium III
Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
40 GB Hard Drive
not sure of RAM, etc. at this point.

Any other details someone might need to help me out.....or tell me to take it to someone to fix.....or tell me to trash the thing? LOL I'm ready to toss it out the window!

Thanx for any and all suggestions!

donna :o)

In this window type: C:\Windows\system32\Restore

That command should have been "cd C:\windows\system32\restore"; that's why you got the "not recognized" error.

The original "entry point" error is an indication that something went wrong during the update, and one or more of your system files are now corrupt or out of sync ("out of sync" meaning that not all of the files which should have been updated actually were updated; this can cause version conflicts/incompatiblity between the older components and the newer updated components).

A system restore might work, but it isn't guaranteed. If it doesn't, you'll have to find your installation CDs so that you can try a repair from the Recovery Console.

In terms of the "popping" noise, that probably (and hopefully) means that some software component related to your video card or monitor has now been corrupted as well. Let's hope so, because the sort of popping and associated flashing of indicator lights can also be the sign of a dead video card or monitor. If you have (or can get) access to another computer, try switching monitors between the two; that will at least tell you if the display problem lies with the monitor or with the computer.

:confused: OK! Some progress made, but still not working. I didn't have another computer to hook the monitor up to, but had the monitor that came with the computer (We thought it wouldn't work due to a thunderstorm a couple of months ago.) and just on a whim, I hooked it up. It works! No popping or clicking! (The monitor I was using was one not being used at my husband's office.....I guess I killed it)

I was able to try the SAFE MODE - Command Prompt thing again, this time adding "cd" to the front of the prompt.

I was then able to type "rstrui.exe". I then received the following message: "rstrui.exe - Entry Point Not Found"....."The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll."

Now what do I try?

{I'm still searching for my Windows CD.....grrr} :sad:

Thanx for all your help guys!

donna :cheesy:

(The monitor I was using was one not being used at my husband's office.....I guess I killed it)

Could well be; hooking it up to another computer when you get a chance will give you a better idea of that, though.

I was then able to type "rstrui.exe". I then received the following message: "rstrui.exe - Entry Point Not Found"....."The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll."

Now what do I try?

{I'm still searching for my Windows CD.....grrr} :sad:

If you're lucky, it may only be your shlwapi.dll file that's corrupt. If so, it can be replaced, but you're going to need to find/get a proper/correct version of that file somehow and copy it into your C:\windows\system32 folder.

Something that would be good for us to know if possible:

In your first post you said: "I realized that an update was being downloaded to my computer". Do you know exactly what update was being performed? That is, was it a Windows Update that was happening, or was it an update initiated by some other program?

Unfortunately, I did not pay much attention to what the update was, but I do remember it appeared to be a Windows update by the way the install window looked (but I know some things mimic windows to fool the user), just not sure what the update was. I have my computer set to auto-update Windows. I downloaded and installed Windows Service Pack 2 a few weeks ago so that I could get Movie Maker 2.1. Is there any way to find out what the update was?

When I start my computer, I can only get to some of the programs through the Task Manager using CTRL-ALT-DELETE. I cannot, however, figure out how to access Control Panel or My Computer. Running the computer in SAFE MODE only gives me the same error message I first reported.

Without my Windows CD, how can I get a copy of the SHLWAPI.dll file? And the next question would be, if I got the file, how would I download and install it?

Also, I'm not worried about the other monitor. It was just an extra old one they had in storage at my husband's office when they upgraded their computer systems. I'll have someone check it when he takes it back, if I can get my computer/monitor up and running again.

Thanx for all your help. You have been a wonderful help to me.

donna :o)

Hi not sure if this will work for you but I had the same exact issue. I had to download an SP2 (service pack 2) upgrade from Microsoft. Just google those words exactly and download it. My computer was instantly fixed and I could finish the download I was attempting. I don't know much about computers but this worked for me. Hope it helps!

Hope it helps!

Probably not. This thread is 5 years old.

Even though Donna's thread is 5-6 years old, this problem still exisits for some people, including me...i have a Toshiba Satelite Laptop. five days ago, I logged on only to have the "Black Screen with Cursor" CURSE!..Its taken me 5 days of hard work and research to get my system back, but I still can't fix this "SHREGGTVALUEW" missing from shlwapi.dll file, NO Entry Point...I'm going to try deleting the Dll and replacing it with one from another computer that works In the mean time if ANYBODY knows how to fix this, I would be VERY GREATFUL. Wish US LUCK...captphrank

Even though Donna's thread is 5-6 years old, this problem still exisits for some people, including me...i have a Toshiba Satelite Laptop. five days ago, I logged on only to have the "Black Screen with Cursor" CURSE!..Its taken me 5 days of hard work and research to get my system back, but I still can't fix this "SHREGGTVALUEW" missing from shlwapi.dll file, NO Entry Point...I'm going to try deleting the Dll and replacing it with one from another computer that works In the mean time if ANYBODY knows how to fix this, I would be VERY GREATFUL. Wish US LUCK...captphrank

Hi captphrank.

First of all- welcome to Daniweb :).

We ask that members not piggy-back questions on to a thread previously started by another member here in the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forum, (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.