For the last couple of weeks, maybe a bit longer, I am getting Explorer.exe - application error messages. They vary in what they say, two examples exception Integer division by zero (0xc0000094) occurred in app at location 0x057aec8. Another says instruction at 0x050cb968 ref mem at 0x00000000 memory could not be read. Seems like it is a diff error every time. I have a basic understanding of what is going on as far as the messages, but need to know what is causing them, how to get rid of the prob. If I do not get the error message I just get the box with error Windows Explorer has encountered a prob and needs to close. I have run all my anti virus, anti spyware, trojan, and whatever else to try to find prob with no luck. I have restored the puter back as far as it would let me eliminating new programs, still no luck. When I do a web search I get lots of places that say free DL to fix registry, free scan, etc., and it is amazing the diff things each one finds, and then of course they want money to fix it. I do not mind paying for a solution, but am very skeptical about these types programs thru on line searches. I am using OS Windows XP Media Center, Version 2002 SP2 AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 dual core processor 3800 t 994 MHz 960 MB Ram. Sorry this is so long but I am extremely frustrated and hope the more info I give the easier to get answers/help.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Not sure why you think IE7 would help solve the problem It is not an internet explorer error it is a windows explorer error message, and for the most part I seldom use Internet Explorer, I prefer a different browser. BTW I did install IE7 a week or two ago, but did not solve my windows explorer problem and it had probs of its own so I removed it and went back to 6 whatever.

Sometimes you just get file corruptions sneaking in.... I actually have no idea what the root cause of your problem is, but if it was on my machine i would as a first and simple step check my dll's were all fine. So grab your XP install cd and run system file checker:-
Go Start > run, type sfc /scannow [note that space after sfc !!]
Either load the cd when it requests it, or before you enter the command. Sit there and be prepared to press the Enter key a few? times while it runs.

A crash in Explorer.exe is commonly caused by an error in the way your computer processes certain bits of information. In slower comptuers, this is normally caused by an overload of the processor; too much information trying to shove it's way through at once. Explorer.exe is the basis of WIndows and it's processing, so if something goes wrong, the only thing the computer knows how to do to prevent an unfixable problem is to purposely crash explorer and tell you why it did this.

Get on Google the next time it happens and type in "explorer.exe error 0xc######" or whatever the code is (without the quotes)

I hope i brought a little understanding to the topic

I can solve this problem temporarily by change files view to DETAIL. It actually happen when you choose view by THUMBNAIL.

Analysis:
Exploitation of the flaw will at least result in a Denial of Service condition against the program using the GDI+ component, and doing a restart of the explorer process. Further code execution has not been verified.

CSIS Security Group has discovered an Integer division by zero flaw in the GDI+ component in Windows XP. This condition are activated when a malformed ICO file are viewed through either Windows Explorer or other components like Windows Picture and Fax Viewer .

CSIS Security Group has discovered an Integer division by zero flaw in the GDI+ component in Windows XP. This condition are activated when a malformed ICO file are viewed through either Windows Explorer or other components like Windows Picture and Fax Viewer .

The consequence of this flaw is a Denial of Service condition, to applications using the vulnerable GDI+ component, and doing a restart of the explorer process. The flaw is in the InfoHeader -> Height value within the malformed .ICO file, when inserting 0x00000000 at byte location 31 to 34.

Disassembly of the code:
The flaw goes into the following memory area and throws the exception Integer division by zero at 4ED9E28F, Causing a restart of the explorer process.

I have similar problem on Windows Vista. It occur after inatall some codec (MP4) for Windows Media Player.

How to solve:

1. Disable all 'Virtual Effect' of desktop. (on Performance Option of your Computer)

2. Uninstall last codec for Windows Media Player cause this problem. (You can use QuickTime instead)

3. Enable 'Visual Effect'. Everythings back OK.

Dec 3rd, 2006

Our computer crashed and your information brought it back to life. Thanks, Carol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.