My power supply blew, which has also ruined the motherboard.
I need to keep the hard drive, which has win98SE, due to some s/ware I use which I can't re- register.
I need to get a new M/board, and would like a more powerful cpu such as Intel Q 6600.
Can anyone confirm if it's possible to have win98se working with a more modern m/board and cpu.

Chris

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

My power supply blew, which has also ruined the motherboard.
I need to keep the hard drive, which has win98SE, due to some s/ware I use which I can't re- register.
I need to get a new M/board, and would like a more powerful cpu such as Intel Q 6600.
Can anyone confirm if it's possible to have win98se working with a more modern m/board and cpu.

Chris

its not likely that win98 will have support drivers for such a new motherboard ,but i could be wrong.
I was once before !

If you look around you might be able to find drivers that will work.....

I commend you for wanting to keep Win98se (Very good OS) and i wish you luck getting her going :)

Welcome to Daniweb!

Hello Cris44,
Isn't it simpler to find a old PC with a working and replace the power supply - so you won't be doing any acrobatics to get it working again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.