A friend had a computer that had windows 98se on it, and he changed monitors. Now it does not start in windows what can I do? I tried putting the cd into the cd rom and it says invalid system disk. Now I have to use a public computer to ask for help anyone know what to do? I am not familiar with computers. I do not know computer terms the bios says award modular bios v 4.51pc. I need to make sure the settings are correct, how can I tell to make sure he did not try to change things in the bios? Can anyone tell me what each of the items in the bios should be set at. It says Award Bios on the main screen. I have checked all the cables nothing is loose. I figure maybe not knowing what he was doing he changed something in the bios. On the left side of the screen when I start computer and hit delete to enter set up the bios shows this list.
Standard cms setting
Bios feature setup
Chipset features setup
Pnp/pci configuration
Load bios defaults
Load setup defaults
Right side of screen shows
Integrated peripherals
Supervisor password
User password
Ide had auto detection
Hd low level format
Save and exit setup
Exit without saving
How can I tell if he changed anything does any one have a picture of each of the things on list so I can highlight them and see if anything was changed?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

He has the monitor turned on when he boots up right?

The computer should reconfigure itself with the monitor....... (If its not on during bootup it might cause issues)

Good luck!

the monitor screen is fine when the computer boots up it goes through some kind of test and then says verifying dmi pool data and then says invalid system disk and there is no floppy in the computer and no cd in the cd rom drive help me understand what to do my friend might have changed somethings in the bios but in order to know what he changed i need to know the things in the bios and the settings they should be set for so please help

Have you tried to do a SYSTEM RESTORE?? (Restore an earlier registry) -- That may help :)

Good luck

If you can, try another monitor. Could be the monitor is defective ??
Without visual, it is hard to restore the registry back to an earlier setting or do anything else with the computer. Windows stores (at least) the last four boots. You really need a monitor to watch the progress. Before you change any bios settings, (and if you do, be sure to write down ALL settings), try unplugging the monitor both, from the back of the computer and also from the power source. Turn on computer with the on/off button and let it fully boot. Suggest you give it at least five (5) minutes, then turn it back off by the on/off button. Plug the monitor back into the power source FIRST, then into the back of the computer. Turn the computer back on with the on/off button. The PnP (Plug and Play) feature in Windows 98SE should detect the monitor, load the drivers and display the desktop. As far as resetting the registry, click on Start/Run/ (type in) ScanReg /Fix (note: the space between the g and the /. Good Luck

Have you tried to do a SYSTEM RESTORE?? (Restore an earlier registry) -- That may help :)

Good luck

where can i get this from i use a public computer because his is not working we even tried putting the old monitor back on and still nothing so anything has to be able to be burnt to a cd because the floppy driv light does not come on so can you tell me how to get what it is you are talking about to burn to a cd the library has a computer that has roxio cd burning software

the computer does not boot to where i can type anything in to try to restore anything

He has the monitor turned on when he boots up right?

The computer should reconfigure itself with the monitor....... (If its not on during bootup it might cause issues)

Good luck!

the monitor is plugged in when we turn the computer on but it does not start the windows 98se screen what can i try to fix this problem i have to use a public computer because i don't own one

Talked with a Tech friend about your problem.
Answer: Sounds like it is time to Format the hard drive and reinstall Windows 98 (you must have an authentic CD for the product code number entry during the setup and install).
Leave the monitor plugged into the computer.
Formatting the hard drive:
THIS WILL ERASE 'ALL' THE CONTENT ON THE HARD DRIVE.
To get the computer up to the point to format the hard drive,
go to site: http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/98.html and read through all the information first, then download the Windows 98_SE boot disk. It will fit on a floppy disk. Put the disk into the drive bay and turn on the computer and boot from the floppy. The disk will have the format function. When you boot up it's going to look like this: A:> Then you type: "format c: /s" after the A:>
(but without the " ") It will look like this. A:\format c: /s
If you do not see 'anything' on the monitor, then the monitor is not working. Turn off the computer using the on/off button and remove the floppy and get a new monitor. You may need to format the hard drive because some unintentional changes might have been made to the System Files or the BIOS even with a new monitor but see if the computer will boot before you run the format command from the floppy disk. If you do see the A:> , then the monitor might be okay and you can proceed with the format process. When you are asked about support for large drive, accept YES or type Y and press enter. After the hard drive if formatted, you will then need to reinstall the operating system for Windows 98SE.
This is probably the only way to resolve your problem. Good Luck

what if the a drive light does not come on how can i get a copy of the boot disk to burn to a cd and which one do i choose if i dont' have the product key for windows 98se but i have both the cd and product key to windows 98 can i install that tell me step by step because when i click on the link you sent it takes me to another page but i am not sure which 98 version to use and how do i know if i just save it to a floppy disk i need to make sure it is not a zip file because it only gives me the option to save and when i click on save it save as an application

For this issue it is very simple.

I would not recommend to reformat on an issue like this.

First Restore BIOS to Default settings (only do this if you have not added any new video cards because this will re-enable your onboard or any other devices etc...)

Try restarting. If you still cannot get past the error Verifying DMI pool data.

Next if you have created a startup diskette boot to it in your floppy drive.

Type the following:
C: (press enter)
Fixdisk /mbr c: (press enter)
Type FIXDISK /mbr c: three times. It doesn't always take on the first try.

What this does for a FAT32 filing system is fix the master boot record. Which your system may have lost. (NOTE the spaces in the command. If it states not reconized command you have to point it to the C:\windows\Command directory first.
Take out the floppy and restart.

If this doesn't work remove all added devices. Wireless keyboard/mouse, Added video cards, nics. Basicly just leave your monitor, PS/2 keyboard PS/2 mouse. Then restart your system.

Finally if that doesn't work resort to the last and should always be the last....Reformat the HDD.

RueB 2s De

Good luck

how can i get this i can't even get the computer to boot to show the a prompt to format the drive please explain how to use this i have to use a public computer to get help so everything needs to be saved to a floppy and be able to be used with out unzipping any files

First Restore BIOS to Default settings (only do this if you have not added any new video cards because this will re-enable your onboard or any other devices etc...)

Type the following:

What this does for a FAT32 filing system is fix the master boot record. Which your system may have lost. (NOTE the spaces in the command. If it states not reconized command you have to point it to the C:\windows\Command directory first.

If this doesn't work remove all added devices. Wireless keyboard/mouse, Added video cards, nics. Basicly just leave your monitor, PS/2 keyboard PS/2 mouse. Then restart your system.

Finally if that doesn't work resort to the last and should always be the last....Reformat the HDD.

RueB 2s De

i am not understanding what you are saying i can not even get the computer to boot to the a prompt how can i do what you are saying

If you can, try another monitor. Could be the monitor is defective ??
Without visual, it is hard to restore the registry back to an earlier setting or do anything else with the computer. Windows stores (at least) the last four boots. You really need a monitor to watch the progress. Before you change any bios settings, (and if you do, be sure to write down ALL settings), try unplugging the monitor both, from the back of the computer and also from the power source. Turn on computer with the on/off button and let it fully boot. Suggest you give it at least five (5) minutes, then turn it back off by the on/off button. Plug the monitor back into the power source FIRST, then into the back of the computer. Turn the computer back on with the on/off button. The PnP (Plug and Play) feature in Windows 98SE should detect the monitor, load the drivers and display the desktop. As far as resetting the registry, click on Start/Run/ (type in) ScanReg /Fix (note: the space between the g and the /. Good Luck

i see what the computer is doing the monitor is not the problem it is the tower part the a drive light does not come on the computer does not show the windows screen so i can not click on start run.

Type the following:

RueB 2s De

the link in the first sentence restore bios does not take me to any page to see what you mean

Ok TMM599

The very first thing to do is take everything off your tower, Printers, Wireless keyboard, Wireless Mouse. You only want your PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard hooked up. Everything else needs to be disconnected.

Next restore Bios Defaults. To get into BIOS you need to find out what key you have to hold to access the Motherboard's BIOS. Usually the computer tells you what key to press. The verbage is sometimes like "Press F1 to enter Setup".

Once you are in your Bios there will be an option, sometimes it is located in the exit menu to restore defaults. You might need to go into different menu's to find the option for "RESTORE DEFAULT SETTINGS".

After you restore you defaults restart the system. If it does not boot to windows.

Find another computer that has Windows 98 or ME. Got to Start, Control Panel, Add Remove programs. Click on the tab that says Startup Diskette. Get a blank Floppy, Nothing on it just formated 1.44 HDD. Place it in the drive and click on Create Diskette.

Once you have created the diskette bring it to your computer, place it in the Floppy drive and Turn the Computer on. You will get a A prompt. Now type

FixDisk /MBR C: (press enter and notice the spaces it must be entered exactly.)
Type this command three times and press enter each time.
Once you have done this then type
C: sys (Press enter-again notice the
spacing)

Take out the floppy disk and restart. Remember you cannot have any additional devices added to your tower. You just want the Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse. Everything must be disconnected from the PC.

Let me know if you have further questions. This will not erease any files you have stored on the hard drive. It will only fix the Master Boot Record that Windows sometimes messes up.

Have a good one

Rue B 2s De.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.