papafiduk 0 Newbie Poster

Hello everyone -- first time poster and relative newcomer to the boards. This bug I'm tackling has me at my wits' end and it's come time to turn to the masses! If this is posted in the wrong forum and/or has already been addressed, I apologize. However, I've done thorough searches and haven't come across anything akin to what I'm facing.

I'm working with a website that has a set of custom asp.net controls, all descending from a base class. These controls take DataSets returned from web services and renders custom html via overriding the Render method. Everything works fine on my local box and my coworker's box (both xp machines running iis 5). However, on our server (windows server 2003, 64-bit, iis 6), the html rendered by the browser appears corrupt, with garbage replacing individual characters, as follows:

- …width="1px" bgcolor="DarkG˜‑ý></td><td>…

- …<td><p sty¨šýmargin-left:5px;…

- … style="margin-leØ
ÿpx;margin-right:5px"…

- … <p style="margin-left:5px;margin-rigèŠÿpx">…

- … valign="top" widt`|Æpx"…

Some interesting observations of this behavior:

- to reiterate, it only happens on our win2003 64-bit iis6 machine and not on xp iis5 boxes. We're not concerned with cross-browser compatibility, just the IE browser.

- the server is running with ssl encryption, however i've ruled that out as it occurs without it as well

- the corruption of bytes follow a predictable pattern: no more than 8 bytes are corrupted in a group (on occasion 6 bytes are corrupted) and they occur on a regular interval of 0x7000 bytes. Every 0x7000 bytes after the first occurrence would be another corruption.

- when stepping through code, I've confirmed that the control/page is properly rendered on the server via a dump of the html produced by the page. So at the server, just after rendering, it's appears to be fine. However, when it hits the browser, you see the above. This occurs in both ie6 and ie7, whenever hitting the server in question.

Memory issues, right? I've closed off every stream utilized in the front-end. I tried toggling buffering options in iis and asp.net. I utilized the adsutil.vbs script and increased the AspBufferingLimit parameter on iis 6, but to no avail. One thing that did seem to make a difference was the presence, or lack thereof, of other custom controls on the master page. ie: the master control usually has 3 major custom controls and then a content place holder for the given page (the html rendered for the custom page is where the corruption is occurring.) However, if i comment out the controls on the master page such that only one is active - doesn't matter which one - everything renders correctly. Unfortunately, upon looking at the code of the controls and the base class, I don't see any shared resources between them, nothing that would 'cause any interference.

I apologize for the length of the post, but I figure the more info the better. And again, if this is misplaced or I completely missed it addressed elsewhere, my bad.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.