Windows explorer ha stopped working. Have done two system restores but to no avail.
I'm using Vista. Any ideas please
If you have spyware or a virus on the computer, scan the system by using an antispyware program such as Windows Defender or Windows OneCare. If you decide to use Windows Defender, follow these steps: 1. Restart the computer.
2. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Start Task Manager.
3. In Task Manager, click the Application tab, and then click New Task.
4. In the Create New Task dialog box, type %programfiles%\windows defender\msascui.exe, and then click OK.
Windows Defender starts.
5. On the Scan drop-down menu, click Full Scan.
6. Remove any virus and any spyware that is detected.
Then, use System Restore to return the computer to a known good restore point. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, type System Restore in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. Click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
3. Click a date on which the issue did not occur.
4. Click Next.
5. Click Finish.
6. Restart the computer.
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.
turn on pc and tap on F8-> select "safe mode with command prompt", login and then in the black command box type in rstrui and then press enter. Now select "choose a different restore point" and select a date before the issue began (hopefully there is one) and click next and then it will restore the computer settings to that day you selected and hopefully the issue never returns.