Every so often my CFO has a melt down. He may be working for hours on an Excel file and BAM!!! a BSOD. His file is not autosaved even though the setting is for every ten minutes. This has happened from time to time when not in Excel as well(the BSOD).
Arrrrrg!! I have a memory test I am running tomorrow before he gets in the office. Also I will do a repair of the WinXP install. Are there other test I can do?
What are the steps to stop this???????
Thank you for you assistance.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

BSOD is a very generic term & can be caused by many things, can you give the actual error message on the BSOD?

If I were working for hours on an excel file, or any other file for that matter, I would hit the save button every once in a while. :icon_wink:

With the office problem, try putting your Office Cd in your drive, when it auto loads the set-up programme, check "repair" and allow it to check your set-up.

With the office problem, try putting your Office Cd in your drive, when it auto loads the set-up programme, check "repair" and allow it to check your set-up.

I will do a repair of the Office install and the WinXP. Also I attempted to run the windiag cd to check the RAM and it would not boot the box. Yes I change the Boot order....I will take the opportunity to upgrade his RAM to a GB :-)

try:

repair microsoft office
repair windows xp pro
reinstall microsoft office
reinstall microsoft xp pro

google your bsod and see what you get, b/c it could either be a software or hardware problem. if it is a hardware problem, the symptoms will reappear even after xp pro reinstall. if this problem persists, and the pc is more than 3 years old, replace the thing. it is not worth spending a penny on older pc's, especially when you can get a better pc with monitor for $450 ($300 without monitor)

I am not telling you to buy a new pc (b/c forums are not a place to just tell someone "replace the d@mn thing"), but if you end up having to spend money to repair it, you might as well buy new. I think that reinstall or even repair should fix the error. Try running ubuntu 6.04 (or any version you want to) and use the built in open office, and if it crashes, then it's a hardware issue. Hope that helps.

Warning!!! Do not re install windows XP unless you are willing to reload all your programes again. Repairing windows or repairing or reinstalling office should be no prob.

I upgraded the RAM . . . it was on sell for $50 for 2 count 'em 2 GB's :cool:
I also repaired the WinXP Pro inst and Excel. We will see what happens over the next few days. Should the BSOD happen again I will note the error and decide accordingly.

great that you got an upgrade. i found 2gb ddr2-800 ram for 39.99 (from PNY) at newegg.com

it is high quality ram, and vista gave it a 5.9 rating. nonetheless, xp should run smoothly on your pc now that you have 2gb :)

Hi Mai_
If the BSOD comes returns reply with the BSOD code and other info on that screen. dont wanna be the barer of bad news but should youre prob be fixed than you're one random lucky guy.

Cheers
matey

Hi,
Is it working now?? If so , please mark as solved!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.