Hi to all!I have a Windows XP Home SP1 OEM genuine installation and I tried to install Service Pack 2.The first time, after downloading the Service Pack, installation began but at some point gave me an error message ("Can not create a file list,a directory list" or sth like that) and SP2 was not installed.It didn't cause any problem to my Win XP SP1 installation.Then I tried a second time to install SP2.At some point during the installation, the same error message appeared, just like my previous description and SP2 was not installed either.But this time I wasn't so lucky:when I tried to boot Win XP I took an error message, that some file was missing.I tried FIXBOOT from the recovery console and after reboot, Win XP began to boot, CHKDSK was executed, it fixed a lot of errors,system rebooted, began to boot Win XP, but system hanged at some point with a black screen.After rebooting and loading recovery console I tried to uninstall SP2 from the command line.After finishing this succesfully, I rebooted my computer and Win XP began booting.But at some point, system hanged and after a very quick BSOD (I hardly saw it) , system rebooted.This was continued.I couldn't get in Win XP by any means,not even in safe mode.I tried a second fixboot but nothing changed.I tried a second SP2 uninstallation from the recovery console, but this didn't help either.Is there sth I can do to save my XP installation?Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

try, chkdsk /r ,in the recovery console .
not sure what extra problem you could have cause by doing a fixboot if it wasn't really needed .also hitting f8 on startup instead of going to safe mode chose disable reboot on system errors its in the list ,this will show a bsod longer .,also did you try last know good configuration on the same screen as safe mode .

CHKDSK /R usually does absolutely nothing.I have tried that many times in the past, but can not provide any kind of help.I tried last known good configuration and all the other choices on the same screen but nothing happened.Is there any way to disable rebooting, in order to see the BSOD message?I have another partition with Win OS,so I can see the damaged partition from "outside", but this doesn't usually provide any kind of help, as far as I know.Is there any chance to solve the problem, if I manage to see the message on BSOD?Thanks.

CHKDSK /R usually does absolutely nothing.I have tried that many times in the past, but can not provide any kind of help.I tried last known good configuration and all the other choices on the same screen but nothing happened.Is there any way to disable rebooting, in order to see the BSOD message?I have another partition with Win OS,so I can see the damaged partition from "outside", but this doesn't usually provide any kind of help, as far as I know.Is there any chance to solve the problem, if I manage to see the message on BSOD?Thanks.

did you try the f8 option and disable the auto reboot .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.