K, here's my situation. I've been helping my mommy with her kimpyutur. She has an old P2...yes P2 with win2000(english) and winME(japanese)...yes japanese OS's on her system. I don't know the guy who helped her with it(I was living far, far away at the time). I just did some work on it the other day and now neither CD ROM's are recognized by only the japanese OS(ME). Does anyone have any experience with running 2 OS's. I have no clue :o .

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If I understand you right, your mom's PC is 'dual booting': meaning when you turn it on, it will ask if you want to boot into Win2k or WinME, right? Also, as I understand you, the CD drives do not work in ME, but do in Win2k, yes? If this is the case, than the issue is with ME, not the fact that there are two OSes on the box. With dual booting, each OS runs independantly of the other, meaning winME has no idea Win2k exists on the same drive, and win2k has no idea ME is on the same drive.

So, if I have assumed everything correctly, I believe the problem has to do w/ ME. Perhaps the drivers for the CD drive became corrupted? Try reloading the drivers for both drives.

Also, regardless of the language on the OS, it will work exactly the same way, and have the same options. I have worked on many PCs in Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Chinese, German, and French (w/o knowing any of those languages): and no matter what, Windows is Windows is Windows.

Good luck!

hm why even bother with ME at all if you have 2k on there if i were you id just loose the ME all togeather

I just did some work on it the other day and now neither CD ROM's are recognized by only the japanese OS(ME). Does anyone have any experience with running 2 OS's. I have no clue :o .

What work did you do on the computer exactly???

Go into device manager and check for three things. The first is that there are no errors with your (most likely) secondary IDE channel, as this is what is most likely leading to your cd-rom drive. Second of all, check to make sure that your cd-rom is listed under available cd-roms. Third, check that it has installed drivers and that the device is set to enabled.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.