(I posted this last night & was told I should have posted it elsewhere - I hope this is "elsewhere".)
Windows ME 4.90.3000, ie 5.50.4.807.2300
updates SP2; q834707;q867801; (at this moment)
Seems to run very slowly (speed of computer probably) even though she has lots of ram. Using McAfee VirusScanOnline and Personal Firewall Plus 'cause since 1990, I have never had a single good experience with Norton products.

In July I ran ie6sp2 and all other current updates IE6 would not install fully and since then, problems with Java - seems to be primarily games (my mom's computer, she only plays things like popcap single player) because I can access (at least some/most?) of Microsoft download sites - not sufficiently conversant in Java to know for sure - help & support doesn't work right when I really need it. Went through (several times) re-acquiring Java downloads. Java seems to be fine with Netscape (but very slow to load)

Just discovered no restore points (had to download a patch to fix date?) but that seems to be working again. Another problem she tells me but I've only seen once - cold start usually doesn't go beyond Windows ME screen, especially when off for long period/overnight. Warmstarts seem to be fine. update: changes to Autoexec.bat seems to have stopped this, at least for th moment.

After ie5.5sp2 update, got blue screen: Call Computer Associates Stack exceeded by 256 bytes. (NOT A CLUE!) Have also seen once the “access violation in Vgx.dll message (but only once and it recovered by itself.)

Any suggestions? (Should I post this elsewhere? Should I just breakdown & buy her a new computer - which is generally cheaper than hiring a pro around here.)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Uninstall & reinstall IE. i wouldnt waste my time troubleshooting it.

This is IE6 SP1 from microsoft direct. Otherwise, http://www.getfirefox.com and never erver go back to IE.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/ie6setup.exe
Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the latest (not really) version of Internet Explorer and includes a full installation of the Web browser. This update addresses the vulnerability addressed in Knowledge Base Article 326489. To learn how to get additional security updates, see the Overview section.

Quick Info

File Name:ie6setup.exe

Download Size:480 KB - 79324 KB

Date Published:9/9/2002

Version:6_sp1

Overview
Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 updates the Internet Explorer 6 core technologies in Windows® XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional. Internet Explorer 6 SP1 provides a private, reliable, and flexible browsing experience and the freedom to experience the best of the Internet for users of Windows XP, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows NT® 4.0 Service Pack 6a.
System Requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows XP

* 486/66 MHz processor (Pentium processor recommended)

Windows Me:
32 MB of RAM minimum
Full install size: 8.7 MB

Windows 2000:
32 MB of RAM minimum
Full install size: 12.0 MB

Windows 98 Second Edition:
16 MB of RAM minimum
Full install size: 12.4 MB

Windows 98:
16 MB of RAM minimum
Full install size: 11.5 MB

Windows NT 4.0 with the high encryption version of Service Pack 6a and higher:
32 MB of RAM minimum
Full install size: 12.7 MB

Windows XP:
32 MB of RAM minimum
Full install size: 12.0 MB

* CD-ROM drive (if installation is done from a CD-ROM)
* Some components may require additional system resources not outlined.

Note: Internet Explorer 6 SP1 setup installs the majority of its files on the drive where the Windows operating system is installed, regardless of the installation location you choose. To free up space on your hard disk in order to meet disk-space installation requirements, do so on the drive where the Windows operating system is installed.

Instructions

1. Click the Download button in the upper right-hand corner of this page to start the download, or choose a different language from the drop-down list if applicable, and click Go.
2. Do one of the following:
* To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
* To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.

How to use:
Restart your computer to complete the installation.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP users: Custom installation is not available for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 on Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating systems.

How to uninstall:

1. Make sure Internet Explorer 6 SP1 is not running.
2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. (In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control Panel.)
3. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
4. Select Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP 1.
5. Click Add/Remove (Change/Remove in Windows 2000 and Windows XP).

Thanks for your help - I couldn't uninstall ie as you suggested (got error message) but after I tried and then installed ie6sp1 I finally got 6.0.2800.1106 version with just upgrade SP1. So I then downloaded & installed two patches KB834707 & KB837009 - which apparently addressed issues with earlier patch. We'll see what happens (still no java like popcap in IE).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.