I have a 4 year old PC that I am giving to a friend. I had a "profesional" clean the drive and reload the system (ME). I took it to the friend and then started installing DSL software and getting her online. I had trouble and called the service provider for help. Turns our I cannot get to internet sites when I put the name in (www.yahoo.com) but it does work if I enter the numbers for the site in the address window. At that point the service provider told me it was a PC problem. Anybody have any clues what the problem might be?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have a 4 year old PC that I am giving to a friend. I had a "profesional" clean the drive and reload the system (ME). I took it to the friend and then started installing DSL software and getting her online. I had trouble and called the service provider for help. Turns our I cannot get to internet sites when I put the name in (www.yahoo.com) but it does work if I enter the numbers for the site in the address window. At that point the service provider told me it was a PC problem. Anybody have any clues what the problem might be?

Did you try goig to windows updates and update IE/in IE tool /windows updates .

Did you try goig to windows updates and update IE/in IE tool /windows updates .

Thank for the reply....no have not done that yet. This is something that used to work on this version of SW. The tech at my service provider suggested that it might be a Registry issue. Anybody with ideas on that? I looked at some of the other posts here and see similar things but it looks complicated to fix.
I hope somebody can help me!

Maybe you could go over to this section of the fourms and read up on posting a hijackthis log and we can take a look see and maybe the problem will show its ugly face .Thanks

HERE

If you can reach sites by IP address but not by URL, that usually indicates a DNS issue:

1. Open a DOS box and type the following command at the prompt:

ipconfig /all

Do the results of the command return the correct IP addressing information, including valid DNS server IPs?

2. Can you even ping sites by URL? Try the following command:

ping www.google.com

Do you get positive responses from the command?

It could be a winsock issue. Try reinstalling your winsock. Follow these steps:

A) Open Regedit from the Run line
B) Go to both of the following keys and then delete them:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
C) Restart the computer

Make sure you back up your registry before trying these. Only delete WINSOCK and WINSOCK2.
Did you verified your ip properties to make sure you don't have any DNS server specified? or have you try to specify DNS SERVER in the ip properties?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.