I am having a problem defragging my computer. I have Windows 98SE. I have come out of everything and switched off the broadband modem etc. The only items left open are 'systray' and 'explorer'. I have attempted to do it 3 times over the last week but it will defrag to 51% and then stops. Even if I look at the 'Legend' there is no movement. I've left it for 2 or 3 hours at 51% before cancelling it. Can anyone help?? :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello there, I have tried to defrag in the 'safe mode' but again it stopped at 51% it stayed like this for 4 hours and then moved to 52%. After another couple of hours it went back to 51%. Can anyone else come up with any suggestions. Many thanks
Mary (Scotland) :)

Hello there, I have tried to defrag in the 'safe mode' but again it stopped at 51% it stayed like this for 4 hours and then moved to 52%. After another couple of hours it went back to 51%. Can anyone else come up with any suggestions. Many thanks
Mary (Scotland) :)

Did You run A thorough Scandisk First

I had the same problem so I looked around and found PowerDefrag at this site: http://www.powerdefrag.com/. It works for me.

Grim

Hello there,
Many thanks for your advice. I downloaded 'powerdefrag' and ran it. It went like a dream. Problem sorted!! Much appreciated.
Mary (Scotland) ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.