Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. I have a P4 system running Windows XP sp3 with a ATI Radeon 9200se card. After the last round of updates, my shutdown screen has the "Standby" button grayed out. After some searching, I have found that XP is not recognizing my video card. The card works just fine, but I cannot load an updated driver for it because Windows wants me to put the vga drivers in first. Any ideas?

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by rjcaptsean

Try loading plain windows vga drivers. Reboot and than update and load your video card drivers. Should work.

Have you tried to update the drivers from the Device Manager?

Funny thing though... There is no longer a listing for Display Adapter under the Device Manager.

I think there must be something wrong with the video card. When I remove it from the system, I get the Display adapter in the Device Manager. However, I still have the grayed out "standby" mode for shutdown.

Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out it was SP3. Something in there was keeping the Intel D865gsa's northbridge from talking to the AGP. I uninstalled SP3, and updated the driver for the video and everything was back to normal. I then set a restore point :) and reinstalled SP3. Yup...same bad juju. Uninstalled SP3 until sometime far far into the future. Thanks again for the input.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.