I am Locked out!
Since a Windows Update, I am asked for a password for the user, either my or my wife. With my user name in the box, I tried no password (blank) and got the wallpaper with no icons. I have tried "Safe Mode": the same result with big writing; I have tried "Administrator" with no password; I have tried "Last known good configuration", but Windows thinks that locking us out is a "Good Configuration".
Can anybody help?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hi
You can do a windows repair and in the process you'll be asked for a new user name. Log in with that user name and assign the user name with a password.
PS: No data will be deleted in the process.
Good Luck

I am Locked out!
Since a Windows Update, I am asked for a password for the user, either my or my wife. With my user name in the box, I tried no password (blank) and got the wallpaper with no icons. I have tried "Safe Mode": the same result with big writing; I have tried "Administrator" with no password; I have tried "Last known good configuration", but Windows thinks that locking us out is a "Good Configuration".
Can anybody help?

When you log into the profile that gets you the wallpaper with no icons. try the following

hold down CTRL + Shift + Esc
This will load the task manager

If the task manager can load go to the file menu and select new task.
The the dialog box that appears type
explorer.exe
hit enter

Does your desktop load?

Click on the processes tab and look for the explorer.exe process.
Is the process listed there?

Thanks,
But how do I make a Windows Repair?

Thanks,
But how do I make a Windows Repair?

Did your desktop load with what i asked you to try.

If you just want to do a repair installation of windows you can boot from the windows cd
Hit enter after it loads
F8 to accept license agreement
R to repair install windows.

If you get your desktop to load we can try to fix it. Let me know what you want to do,

try logging in, going to control panel, users and passwords and create new users. If these accounts work properly you can transfers the files you want to keep over and configure it as you need

Ill strongly advise a windows repair. It's a simple fix and straight forward. You might be required to install some programs.
To do a windows repair:
At boot up insert you're Operating System disk and make sure you boot from you're cdrom first. press a key when asked to boot from disk and wait for the OS startup files to load. At the stage where the menu options appear select install Operating System and select repair. From there it should be straight forward.

Thanks,
The problem is I have a Dell which was suuplied with no disc. I get no desktop only wallpaper.I forgot to mention the Windows error message:"The application has failed to initialise correctly (0xc0150002). Click ok stop the application.
I have tried all sorts of key combinations including CRTL-SHT-ESC but the task manager refuses to respond. I think I will have to take it to a shop.

Fred

Hi
You'll be required a disk my friend. I wanted to advise you to reinstall you're Service Pack but seeing that you get no explorer you're forced to eighter borrow/ lend a OS disk or take it to the local techy.

Hi
You'll be required a disk my friend. I wanted to advise you to reinstall you're Service Pack but seeing that you get no explorer you're forced to eighter borrow/ lend a OS disk or take it to the local techy.

If your computer is relatively new you can try this link. It is one i stumbled across a while back but have never tried it. I don't know how well it works.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form_internal

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.