Hello there!

I´m not exactly shure if I´m right on this page cause I´m not a Computer prof. but I´ve got a serious problem wich I can´t solve, so I hope you can maybe help me (also my english isn´t the best and I have to translate into English but I´ll try my best!:-).

So here is the problem I have:
I use the onboard Lan of my Asus A7N8X-X Mianboard and since a few days the connction is "limited or not connected".
When I press the "repair"-button it takes a while and then the error message comes something like "couln´t get a new ip Number - contact the Network admin" (since I AM the admin....)

Here is what I already tried:
- scanning the Computer for Viruses etc. -> everything´s ok
- delete the Ethernet "Card" & restart to install it again
- install the newest drivers I from NVidia
- turn off LAN in BIOS start, then restart turned on
- using tools as "Winsock etc.
- deleting "Winsock" + "Winsock2" in the registry

I´m thinking about Flashing the BIOS but I´m not shure if this would do better?!

Absolutely NOTHING helps and I´ve got no idea how to fix it!
It would be very very kind if someone could give me a hint or knows what to do.
Thank you very much! :-)

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Hi musica!! Welcome to the DaniWeb Forum. It sounds like you have quite a problem there, so I hope this translates correctly. First, what operating system are you using (XP, 2000, 98, etc.)? Don't flash the BIOS, as that could create even more problems at the present time.

Look in Device Manager, and see if you have any marks next to your network adapter?

Each time that you uninstalled the network card, did you go to IE/Internet Options/Connections Tab/and run setup to re-establish your connection?

Try this, if everything looks good in your Device Manager, and your connection is setup, then unplug the power cord, from your modem, for about 2 minutes, and then plug the power connector back in, you want to do this with both the Computer and modem on.

Hi musica!! Welcome to the DaniWeb Forum. It sounds like you have quite a problem there, so I hope this translates correctly. First, what operating system are you using (XP, 2000, 98, etc.)? Don't flash the BIOS, as that could create even more problems at the present time.

Look in Device Manager, and see if you have any marks next to your network adapter?

Each time that you uninstalled the network card, did you go to IE/Internet Options/Connections Tab/and run setup to re-establish your connection?

Try this, if everything looks good in your Device Manager, and your connection is setup, then unplug the power cord, from your modem, for about 2 minutes, and then plug the power connector back in, you want to do this with both the Computer and modem on.

Thank you for the quick reply!
Sorry, I forgotten to say I´m using WindowsXP Home with SP2. The Windows Firewall is disabled ´cause I´m using an external one.
As you said I tried out disconnecting power from the Modem and the PC aswell but sadly this changed anything.
In the Device Manager the Network Card has no marks, no conflicts and I de- and reinstalled the drivers. Seems ok.
I can access the Internet, this is (still) working.
The problem is that I e.g. can´t send mails anymore (with Thunderbird) using smtp.
I found out that something with the dhcp-client is wrong ´cause in the "eventlog(?)" there is a warning symbol: Warning, Event(?) 1007
So I downloaded a "new" dhcpcsvc.dll but I couln´t copy it into the windows directory because the existing file is in use.
(Sorry, as I said I have to translate these things but I hope you can guess what I mean....! :-)

Also, there is a real error with the Service Control Manager, Event 7023.
Hmm..?!?!?!
In Windows help I read about using "ping" wich tests where sucessful.
After that I tried to use "net view" but this is not installed and I don´t know how to do this and if it would help.
Sorry that I´m writing so much but I hope this informations can help you?!
Thanks alot!

Toddy

HI

If you wish to copy dhcpcsvc.dll I would do so in Safe Mode (without networking).

To access safe mode, shut down, and turn on your PC, and press F8 alot during POST (PowerOn Self Test - The bit before the Windows logo appears). this will bring up a menu, of which you can select "Safe Mode w/o networking".

This will load a basic Windows system, in which you should be able to copy the files.

---

Error 1007 is generated when your system has problems obtaining DHCP. Maybe you could explain why you think something is wrong with your dhcpcsvc.dll to think to replace it? Could it just be that your external firewall is blocking this allocation?

Go to Start -> Run; type> cmd
When the cmd prompt window appears, type the following> ipconfig /all (there is a space between ipconfig and /). This will display all your IP settings, and should include your IP (like 192.168.2.x), subnet mask (255.255.255.0), default gateway (router IP address, ie. 192.168.2.1), and DNS (you should get this from your ISP, usually found in their FAQ).

Have you thought about a static IP assignment for this system?

---

I had a look for error 7023, and it appears it is a result of shutting down Windows Firewall.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=889320&SD=tech

---

I am thinking that because you can access the Internet, it might just be a different problem. When you say external firewall, could you explain what device / or software you regarding to?

Regards, David

HI

If you wish to copy dhcpcsvc.dll I would do so in Safe Mode (without networking).

To access safe mode, shut down, and turn on your PC, and press F8 alot during POST (PowerOn Self Test - The bit before the Windows logo appears). this will bring up a menu, of which you can select "Safe Mode w/o networking".

This will load a basic Windows system, in which you should be able to copy the files.

---

Error 1007 is generated when your system has problems obtaining DHCP. Maybe you could explain why you think something is wrong with your dhcpcsvc.dll to think to replace it? Could it just be that your external firewall is blocking this allocation?

Go to Start -> Run; type> cmd
When the cmd prompt window appears, type the following> ipconfig /all (there is a space between ipconfig and /). This will display all your IP settings, and should include your IP (like 192.168.2.x), subnet mask (255.255.255.0), default gateway (router IP address, ie. 192.168.2.1), and DNS (you should get this from your ISP, usually found in their FAQ).

Have you thought about a static IP assignment for this system?

---

I had a look for error 7023, and it appears it is a result of shutting down Windows Firewall.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=889320&SD=tech

---

I am thinking that because you can access the Internet, it might just be a different problem. When you say external firewall, could you explain what device / or software you regarding to?

Regards, David

Hi David!

Thanks for your answer about my problem and for looking up the explainations of the error numbers!
I thought the dhcp.dll might be broken because Windows reports a warning. I copied it in Safe mode as you suggested and it worked - but it made things even worse (no Lan/Internet connection at all!) so I replaced it with the one I made a back up from.
I don´t think it´s a firewall issue because the Network has the same connection problem even when it´s turned off.
Why do you think it has someting to do with the firewall?
The ports are opened and until this error has occoured everthing was working fine. I don´t know when and why this has happend.
Also, I installed all new available updates for XP and scanned for viruses etc. but that didn´t help either....Puh, in the past I had a lot of problems but never such a persistent one!
I used cmd ipconfig... and got the informations but shall I do with this? Why do you think I should use an static ipp adress? Until now I had no problems with the dynamic ip...?!?
Hope you´ve got another good idea ´cause I´m absolutely dedpaired of what to do.... :-)

Thanks so far!

Toddy.

Ok, I understood what the ipconfig /all command is for (oups! took a while...) and added the informations to my LAN connection. Now, the connection reports no errors about limited connection anymore, so far so good.
But still I can´t send any mails via smtp and I don´t understand why until now everything was working well without having a static IP and so on....?
Does someone know if it is possible to "repair" only the LAN/ Internet section with the Windows CD without installing Windows newly?
I also tried using another network card but with the same results so it must be an specific Windows problem, I think.
Please help, I just can´t get the clue where the Problem is...
Thanx a lot!

Toddy.

Hey Toddy

I only sujested a Static IP, because you said you were having problems with DHCP. Eliminating possible causes, is a good road to getting things fixed. OK, if you have no problems getting on the Internet, we should assume, your network settings are fine, and we should look to email for the solution.

By the way, you don't have any anti-spam software, when I used McAfee Anti-Spam on my laptop, (with SMTP mail setup via Outlook XP), it quaranteened all my mail...just a thought.

This may help, or be a start, it provides a few extra things to look at, like offline mode, using port 25...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cannot_send_mail

My knowledge on SMTP mail isn't great, but I'll have a look for some more stuff later.

Also, being a network admin myself; "contact the Network admin", is really annoying.

Regards, David

Musica, what type of internet connection are you using? If it is a standard cable or DSL connection, there is a reason why you can't send through SMTP. SMTP uses port 25, most ISPs block all port 25 sends unless you buy a business or static IP connection. The reason for this is simple, they are trying to reduce the amount of spam on the net by removing the ability for standard home users to send mail arbitrarily out on port 25, thus defeating the efforts of most spambot viruses. Don't fret though, there is an easy solution for this. All ISPs provide you with an SMTP server that you can use. Simply set up all your email accounts to send through your ISP's SMTP server, and you're set.

If you need any help figuring out what your ISP's SMTP server is, just let us know what ISP you are using, and we can go from there.

Hi David!

Sorry, that I´ve haven´t answered for so long.
I´ve tried a lot of things on this problem, none worked out.
So I said to myself: I have an Image of my Installation (with wich SMTP worked well), I´ll just install it back and all problems should be solved. So what do you think?
After I did this, Windows "forgot" an other Partition on this HDD and all data on it (a lot of self made music, wich I had´nt back uped) were lost!!! Arrrgggg...!!!
After that I did not touched my PC for about a week and thought of going back to work with a pencil, a sheet and a calculator.
Well, after all I´m back in the Internet but my songs are lost....
SMTP did´nt work either. So it was all for nothing.
I then deleted all seetings in my mail programm an set up everthing new and now it works!
So I can close this thread and start a new one about my lost data.... :-/

I hope you will receive my message and I want to thank you very much for your help!!!

Thanks a lot from Toddy.

Hi David!

Sorry, that I´ve haven´t answered for so long.
I´ve tried a lot of things on this problem, none worked out.
So I said to myself: I have an Image of my Installation (with wich SMTP worked well), I´ll just install it back and all problems should be solved. So what do you think?
After I did this, Windows "forgot" an other Partition on this HDD and all data on it (a lot of self made music, wich I had´nt back uped) were lost!!! Arrrgggg...!!!
After that I did not touched my PC for about a week and thought of going back to work with a pencil, a sheet and a calculator.
Well, after all I´m back in the Internet but my songs are lost....
SMTP did´nt work either. So it was all for nothing.
I then deleted all seetings in my mail programm an set up everthing new and now it works!
So I can close this thread and start a new one about my lost data.... :-/

I hope you will receive my message and I want to thank you very much for your help!!!

I do not think this will help you but I have seen before where DHCP get hosed on the host machine, I just go into services and stop and restart dhcp client, and that fixes the problem. If it is a problem the normal test is to put in a static ip with the dns entries, and valid gateway and see if things work.

Sadly Musica, it is not really possible to retrieve wiped data, that has most likely been overwritten by re-imaging the drive. If the other partition is available and empty, it is sadly lost.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, regards, David

Sadly Musica, it is not really possible to retrieve wiped data, that has most likely been overwritten by re-imaging the drive. If the other partition is available and empty, it is sadly lost.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, regards, David

Hello David!

Again I´m answering very lately, sorry!
No problem about the bad news... ;-)
I was able to recover a lot of data (sadly not all) until now.
Now I´ve got just a very little problem, as I think.
But I don´t want to bother you all the time :-) so I think I´m going to start a new thread.
It´s about displaying a File extension in Hexadecimal...
Maybe you want to visit me in that tread? You are invited!
So I´m going to close this thread now.
Thanx again for your help!

See you!

Toddy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.