Microsoft does it again! After having a court trial with Sun, about WindowsXP's problem with Java, Microsoft has come up with a good idea. Make its own version of Java and screw Sun.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-937053.html?tag=fd_top

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

i really really really cant stand microsoft. they dont own enough of the personal computing pie so they make their systems incompatible with a technology that can be implemented on just about any other computing platform, personal or otherwise and then offer up their version of a "fix." some fix. it remains to be seen if i'm going to jump on the Win2K bandwagon, but i'm certainly not jumping on for XP or .net. >:(

I have no problem with Microsoft. I don't love them nor hate them. I think it's a very strong company put together by business geniuses and it all comes down to power and money. If other companies had the same power and money, do you think they wouldn't do the things Microsoft does? It's all about business, and they're doing a damn good job. I know that this can hurt other businesses, but it all boils down to survival of the fittest.

I don't care if everything I use has a Microsoft logo on it, as long as I'm making a profit, getting things done, and having fun doing it. It's kind of ironic that people that have a grudge against it, use Windows and several microsoft programs.

As far as the incompatibility issue goes, Microsoft usually has an alternative solution to whatever scheme they just pulled. They try to make their own version of any program they can so they can integrate it within their OS, which makes it even neater in my opinion. I have no problem with that.

Of course this is my opinion. You might not agree. =)

LOL! ur right, i dont agree! but thats kewl, if every1 walked the same walk just HOW boring wud this world b?!!!! ;D

Your view on Microsoft is something I will never understand... and I know many feel the same way you do. It's a mystery to me why they hate Microsoft so much, even more of a mystery than what girls do in the bathroom that take so long. Something I'll never understand, but I don't mind it. =)

Back to your original idea, Dan, do you think Microsoft's version of java will catch on? it's just the jre they're implementing, right?

I probably sound like a moron about now but it **is** the "jre", right? Isn't that the environment thingie that java uses so that it can be cross-platform?

Damn these acronyms! (although linux is a lot worse when it comes to *that*)

btw ... did u know that PCMCIA (as in those laptop pcmcia cards) stands for People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms ?

thats why they dont call pcmcia cards pcmcia cards anymore - theyve been "relabled" as pc cards! ;)

Yeap, their own runtime environment. Of course they'll change a lot of it I assume... you and I know that they're good at ripping off stuff. JScript? J++? Hehe... gimme a break. I think the battle still continues between them and Sun... so I don't know what's going to happen next.

Ahhh, the acronyms... I hear them everyday at work... they're oozing out of my ears. Some of them are nasty. Somehow I can remember all of them... except ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, and Durability) which is what good databases are built upon... It's so short too. Weird.

I think SUN JAVA is 100% better than MS Java (I uninstalled it years ago)

I heard they brought it back,XP must not be quite as good as the older OS's that have NO PROBLEMS with Sun Java :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.