i tried to install internet explorer on my computer, but the ie6setup always says that a newer version of internet explorer is found on the computer and the setup will stop. i searched the computer again and again and did not find any internet explorer files. what is the messup? please help. TIA.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

i tried to install internet explorer on my computer, but the ie6setup always says that a newer version of internet explorer is found on the computer and the setup will stop. i searched the computer again and again and did not find any internet explorer files. what is the messup? please help. TIA.

what version of windows are you using ,

XP. i finally found an IE related file. it is called iedw (or IE crash detection). i tried to delete it, but i could not. thanks for your response, caperjack.

XP. i finally found an IE related file. it is called iedw (or IE crash detection). i tried to delete it, but i could not. thanks for your response, caperjack.

Right click on you desktop /properties/desktop/customise/ and check off to have IE on your desktop ,if its on your computer , clicking on this icon should bring up IE.6

Right click on you desktop /properties/desktop/customise/ and check off to have IE on your desktop ,if its on your computer , clicking on this icon should bring up IE.6

thanks for the instructions. i did bring up the icon on the desktop by using your method, but i still could not open the browser. when i clicked on the icon, it asked me to use a program from a list to open it. when i used netscape to open it, i got this:
Up to higher level directory
Directory: Cookies 11/2/2002 4:15:18 PM
Directory: Desktop 7/7/2004 11:20:38 PM
Directory: Favorites 11/22/2004 10:17:02 PM
Directory: My Documents 11/22/2004 10:17:04 PM
Directory: Start Menu 11/2/2002 4:15:18 PM
Directory: UserData 11/10/2003 7:43:44 PM
Directory: WINDOWS 9/14/2004 10:37:32 PM
File: ntuser.dat 3328 KB 12/16/2004 11:26:30 PM

it is strange. please help.

Try to do a repair of IE.Repair IE

Try to do a repair of IE.Repair IE

thanks. i will try that. if it does not work, i will give up. it seems much more complex than i thought.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.