Ok, i have a very fustrating problem. My buddies on messenger cannot recieve my IM's although i recieve theirs ok.
This started happening about 4 weeks ago
I've reinstalled messenger 6 it made no difference. I'm using aol dial up so I contacted aol about the problem and they say everythings ok at their end. I reinstalled aol + dial up adaptors and still have the same problem!
I'm not using a proxy or firewall

I'm desperate to fix this annoying problem I need to use messenger for my business please help !!!

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Does Windows Messenger work ok? Do you have any kind of firewall or similar software/device installed?

I use windows98se I dont have windows messenger on my computer, whats the difference between the two?
I downloaded msn messenger 4.6 last week and it seemed to work (although i was unable to send or recieve files) i hate the Tiny personal firewall but it isn't set up.
Would putting the msn messengers servers IP's in my hosts file help establish a better connection?

I need to use messenger for my business please help

can you elaborate

Is this at your place of work maybe your network admin has dropped all outgoing instant messages

I use windows98se I dont have windows messenger on my computer, whats the difference between the two?

Windows Messenger comes with Windows. You should already have it somewhere in your start menu, but i haven't used '98 in such a long time I don't remember.

hello
i am visiting this site for 1st time:) and i dont know how to msg the forum:)
i need help about MSN6
my OS is Windows98
first time when i have instaled MSN Messenger 6.0 it worked
after shut down or restart computer when i try to start a conversation with a friend MSN says-"We were unable to start conversation with .... You may want to try again"
so every day i have to uninstall it, to reinstall again
then it works
but it is "little" boring:(

caperjacks post

[thread]866[/thread]

that must be the wrong link

No bra your on page 2 on one of the last post that usually means that you pretty much summed everything up or fixed the problem. ;)

ok ,see it now ! :)

Ive come to the conclusion that my problem is down to a crap conenction to the net. im using aol i pay 15.99 a month and have nothing but problems i cant leave them because of the banking payment system i have set up. deleting and letting windows reinstall my diap up adaptors, deleting global.org, using a program called spider to clean my temp/cookie/history.dat files fixed my problem *temporarily*
i of course called aol and explained my problems and their response was "reinstall windows" thats great..

their response was "reinstall windows" thats great..

Wow!!!!! How about that award winning service

The only fix they know, works for sure !!

That's because it will get rid of all the crap AOL dumps in the registry and in just about every system folder on the disk to prevent you from escaping their clutches.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.