Hold Alt+F4 and hit the U key to shutdown in Windows XP.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

ya i noticed that yesterday is that new or have i been living in the dark

Ive been using alt f4 for yrs to close running programs ,and windows being a program it always worked for that two,its great for programs that get stuck and won't shutdown. also nothing happens when i add the U to the sequence

Ive been using alt f4 for yrs to close running programs ,and windows being a program it always worked for that two,its great for programs that get stuck and won't shutdown. also nothing happens when i add the U to the sequence

Pressing Alt+F4 brings up the shut down menu. By pressing U you tell to "Turn Off" Additionally you can use R for "Restart or S for "Standby.

got it now ,holdin down f4 and alt ,makes the screen flash ,i have to hold alt ,and hit the f4 and u and it works for me .thanks

Member Avatar for szukalski

I'm even lazier. I just create a shortcut(s) with the shutdown command and click on the appropriate icon to either restart or shutdown. (I use shutdown -l at work to log off as well).
I guess I'm just lazy, but when I'm restarting my pc constantly after testing bios tweaks it seems to save me a minute or two every day.
And I'm not sure whether it's psychological, but the shutdown command seems to shut the pc down faster than going through the start menu. Maybe the start menu way gives processes time to close off and the shutdown command kills the process instantly?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.