I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop with Windows ME installed. ME has been nothing but trouble all along. I won't go into that, I would have to write an entire book.

LET ME FIRST SAY I A NOVICE SO NEED SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS.

I want to one of the following 2 things.

1. Either completely uninstall ME and reinstall ME, as lots of things not
working. I don't know how to completely uninstall nor do I know how to
boot from CD, nor format. NEED SIMPLE ONFO ON THIS.

OR

2. I want to uninstall Windows ME and install Windows XP. (ONE
QUESTION HERE WOULD BE, CAN I USE THE WINDOWS XP THAT
CAME WITH MY GATEWAY DESKTOP? Remember the laptop is a
Dell.

If that is possible then I need to know in very simple terms how
to wipe Windows ME from the laptop and how to BOOT, FORMAT and
INSTALL Windows XP to the laptop using the Gateway desktop CD.

If one way wont work then need directions VERY SIMPLE as to how to do the other.

ME is causing multiple error messages, went into safemode while playing a game, then no longer showingsafemode but everything is very large, so that onecannot play games. System restore will not work, have run all diagnostics and suggestions friends gave to correct ME but npthing has worked so I am going to have to wipe ME and either install it again, or install XP if I can use my Gateway XP on my ME laptop.

Thank you in advance.

Shirrell

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop with Windows ME installed. ME has been nothing but trouble all along.

1. Either completely uninstall ME and reinstall ME, as lots of things not working. I don't know how to completely uninstall nor do I know how to boot from CD, nor format. NEED SIMPLE INFO ON THIS. Or;

2. I want to uninstall Windows ME and install Windows XP. (ONE QUESTION HERE WOULD BE, CAN I USE THE WINDOWS XP THAT CAME WITH MY GATEWAY DESKTOP? Remember the laptop is a Dell.

If that is possible then I need to know in very simple terms howto wipe Windows ME from the laptop and how to BOOT, FORMAT and INSTALL Windows XP to the laptop using the Gateway desktop CD.

If one way wont work then need directions VERY SIMPLE as to how to do the other.

Let's start with what you won't be able to do. You won't be able to install Windows XP from your Gateway disc. Not only is it not a full copy of XP (it's a so-called "restore" disc), but Windows is licensed on a per-machine basis and you need a new license to install to a new machine. Windows XP Home OEM Edition (the minimum you will need) will cost ~$70-100 on eBay (for example).

Windows ME is not worth reinstalling. If it was Windows 98SE, I would say, "Go for it!" I think your best bet is a fresh install of Windows XP. If you don't know how to set boot from CD, you can boot with a floppy. I'm no expert on your particular laptop, so read the instruction manual that came with your machine.

We can offer further advice, but that advice hinges on what you actually want to do.

O.K. I would agree with you on NOT re-installing ME except that all this computer with ME is used for is playing games on.

I don't understand either type of boot if you want to know the truth.

The Dell that has ME is NOT online either.

So if someone could be more specific about booting or creating a boot disc, also since this is only a used for games computer, why not?

I wouldn't worry with it at all except that while playing a game that required a disc, in the middle of the game it suddenly went to SAFEMODE. I closed it down and restated it and it did not show in safemode anymore, but EVERYTHING IS REAL BIG, and this making it impossible to play games, especially deer and turkey hunting ones.

SYSTEM RESTORE is not working either since the incident, so no restoring.

What to do? Remember here, I am a novice computer user, I don't understand it if you dont tell me like I am 3 yrs. old lol

My hubby is climbing the walls without his play buddy.

Thanks ahead of time.

Shirrell

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.