well it would take a while to tell you wtf happened, so ill cut to the chase

I have two hard drives running XP becuase of some crazy shit that forced me to install to my 2nd hard drive. However now my computer automatically boots up onto this new install and Wont let me get onto my old hard drive. I need some kind of way so that i can choose which hard drive to boot into

I thought there might be something i can do in teh boot.ini file, but i have no clue what im doing. so for now im stuck on this hard drive and i cant access my other one becuse i was stingy and put protection on it. (feeling my own rath)

if anyone can help me so that i can get onto my other windows system i would be REAAALLY HAPPY (im about to cry out of frustration)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

go to your cmos and you can set it to load what harddrive that you want hdd 0 is primary and hdd1 secondary i hope this helps

i thought i already tried that. but it doesnt appear to work. ill try again. maybe i forgot to save to my cmos

ok here is what my boot.ini file looks on both hard drives

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I have two hard drives running XP becuase of some crazy shit that forced me to install to my 2nd hard drive. However now my computer automatically boots up onto this new install and Wont let me get onto my old hard drive. I need some kind of way so that i can choose which hard drive to boot into.

You can start with the graphical boot manager GAGboot: http://gag.sourceforge.net
If you install it to a floppy, you can select which hard drive boots. From there, you should be able to edit the boot.ini as you see fit.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.