Here are some of the problems and the cause:

Cant remember what site after all the time I've spent trying to fix this but I remember clicking ok or I agree to some download that I thought was connected to a codec for a movie site I was watching. That was probably the virus or the spy/adware thats now infected my laptop

McAffee was corrupted for some reason
How? Not sure - just says it wasnt working correctly and would shut down - when I looked at the running processes in task manager it would be there as mcagent but the taskbar icon wouldnt be- and so I tried to uninstall it in order to install AVG which works very nicely on my desktop. That didnt go through and only one portion of it was uninstalled, and everytime the scroll bar would get to the end for the other sections (like spamkiller or anti-virus) it would just freeze. So I have an incomplete version of McAffee running and I know I shouldnt install another virus protector on top of it.

Ok so the problems:
Blue screen for memory dump comes on after a few minutes of running in standard mode even if I use the "Last Good configuration..."

In safe mode I am unable to download any new software such as Hijackthis or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which I hear finds the nasties and gets rid of them.

Before When I used Firefox to look up websites for the problem, it would not allow me to go to any anti-virus sites and would not allow the update programs to work on the anti-virus software.

Pretty much what I think I need to know now is how to get those 2 programs or any others, installed on the device in its current state, so I or anyone who can help, can see whats causing the problem(s).

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Andre

To uninstall McAfee you should get the uninstaller from their website. Run it twice, rebooting each time.
Try renaming the MBAM installer to mambo-installer.exe, and see if that will install MBAM [uncheck the update now and auto start boxes before you press finish].
If it does install, rename mbam.exe to mambo.exe, and run that. Do not forget to update it.
Then try to dl and run hijackthis.
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy it to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop and then... rename hijackthis.exe
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe
-CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

MBAM can still be installed and updated without a connection. Using a flashdrive on another system, download & save the installer file from http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebyt...are_d5756.html, then dl the latest updates file: http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/mbam-rules.exe , both to a thumbdrive.
Run the installer, when it completes uncheck the Launch and Update boxes to finish. Next, dclick the mbam-rules.exe file, it will install into MBAM.
Start MBAM via the icon and ...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.