I started mt laptop ( Windows Vista) today and for some reason it will not accept my password at the login screen.
I have not done anything unusual but have noticed it is crashing a lot lately.
Please help me .
This won't work if you used the Administrator account for yourself when you first used the computer (and it may not work anyway, but it's my suggestion):
1. Boot up the computer
2. Press F2. Choose "Safe Mode With Command Prompt"
3. Wait a while...when the screen comes up, choose yourself first and try your password. If that doesn't work, go to the account labeled "Administrator". If you didn't use it, there might not be a password. If you did set a password, try to remember it.
4. When command prompt comes up, type "net user" and press enter
5. Note what your account is called. Then type "net user (account name here; if it has a space in it, enclose it in quotes)*" (don't forget the asterisk at the end)
6. It will ask for a password for that user. Type in the desired password.
7. Reboot normally and try the password you put in.
If that doesn't work, I can't help you anymore, but it's worth a try.
Well, that is safe mode. It first comes up as the login screen, and then goes into command prompt when you log in. Anyway, is there an account labeled "Administrator" when you get to that screen?
No administrator account listed.
I am sorry to be a pest but I really want to know what would cause a password not to work in Vista.
I did not forget my password!
But, suddenly it will not work.
Is that caused by a bug, a corrupt file?
Should I be looking to do a repair install?
Can I do a repair install with Vista?
anything from w2k to Vista
Don't worry very simple
1. Install PEbuilder
2. download and add password plugin via PEbuilder (Cab not zip)
3.Build ISO image
4. Burn image to disc
5. Boot disc with defective computer
NB: For native XP-like enviroment, consider adding XPE plugin