I need help in a hurry. I have been working on a friends Win95 PC removing CWS and untold other crapware. Just when I thought I had it, most of the icons on the desktop lost their color and sharpness along with other icons in the start menu etc. I had altered the settings from 256 colours to 16 colours, then changed it back.
How can I get the colour back ppl?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You rebooted after changing the settings back? Reinstalled the needed drivers?

Rebooted several times. All other graphics are fine. I am going to try and update the drivers tomorrow. I only have the Tower from my mate, so I have to unhook it to get mine up and running.
I cannot understand why it's only the icons playing up, and not all of them at that. Of the 15 or so icons on the desktop, there are three that are ok. Also, when you go to the start menu, the icons there are the same, but when I go to *search* all the icons there are fine.

After a lot of research and fiddling with shell.dll and shell32.dll, reinstalling that file is a good idea too. I've had a similar experience, with 98 (not 95) where a few of the icons went awry. I replaced shell.dll and shell32.dll, and it worked fine. Maybe something to look at.

What about deleteing the shell icon cache and rebooting? Think that would work?

I never thought of that.... but probably.

Deleting the shelliconcache did the trick :D.

:) too cool, too cool.

Thanks for the help comatose :).

I only have the Tower from my mate, so I have to unhook it to get mine up and running.

Hi Chrunchie ,if you do any amout of work on mates computers or no mates !As i do.this little item is the best !! I use one all the time .
KVM Switch

Also how did you delete the shell cache ,did you just delete that dll file !

I did a find files search and deleted it from within that. Rebooted and it was all good. I could not find it when I went to the Windows folder, even with hidden files and protected files set to show.

That's the first time I have done any manual labour caperjack :D. On PC's anyways.
Can you get infected from the bad PC with that switch??

That's the first time I have done any manual labour caperjack :D. On PC's anyways.
Can you get infected from the bad PC with that switch??

No ,no file transfer between the two at all .Mine is a little different than the one shown in the link .Mine looks like a 6 legged spider ,3 cables plugs into my tower ,mouse keyboard and video ,then i plug my video,mouse and keyboard into the body of it ,and then there are 3 cables to plug into the other tower, and you use a double hit on the Scroll/Lock key on the keyboard to swith from computer to computer !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.