I'm having a strange problem here.

Windows XP, if I click on search under start...I get a blank page. If I click on
system restore I get a blank page.
When I try to use Yahoo messenger, It doesnt display my text in the IM box.
When I go to Internet Explorer, If i go to windows update under tools,I get a blank page. When I go to Yahoo's website and type something in and press search, it comes back saying bad request from server.

I went to my banks website and it tells me that my java scripting is disabled. I checked and its enabled.

Whats going on????

Thanks for any help at all

Joe

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

There are a list of .dll's that are no longer registered.... this EXACT same problem happened to me when I went in and removed the whole internet explorer registry key. The solution was posted by someone, but I don't remember who. I'll search for the thread, and repost.

I am sitting here with my fingers crossed.
This is the kind of problem that keeps a man up at night!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!

Ok,

start, run, and type in:

regsvr32 shlwapi.dll

then hit enter, and do this repeatedly for all these:

regsvr32 SHDOCVW.dll
regsvr32 BROWSEUI.dll
regsvr32 browselc.dll
regsvr32 wininet.dll
regsvr32 secur32.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 shdoclc.dll
regsvr32 DNSapi.dll

*Wipes His Forehead*
Give that a shot.

Didn't work.

Thanks for the help though.

I think all this crap started happening when I uninstalled Norton.

Ooooooops, I forgot:

regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 inetcplc.dll

Sorry :(

And Don't forget that you MIGHT have to reboot before it works.

I'll give it a try.

I checked on the Yahoo messenger thing. It said the same thing to fix the problem...make sure your scripting is enabled.

So, evidentley thats my problem. Even though scripting is enabled, I'm still having these problems. The .dll should fix that?

Yes it should. It might be ONLY ONE of those DLL's... but if you load Internet Explorer's, EXE file, and scan it with an module viewer (I built one to do that...basically, it shows all the dll's and stuff that are loaded with a particular program, or are being used by it). That is the list of .dll's. Also, though, the registry under HKLM/software/microsoft/internet explorer, has those other 2 dll's listed as something that IE uses. When I regsvr32'd all those files, it was happy, and worked normally.

Let me know how it turns out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.