Ok, this should be the last question I have about completing my new computer system.
I have a 160GB ATA drive in my current HP system. It does not have an OS on it and is used for storage and programs only.
Should I uninstall all the programs that are installed on this drive before I move it to my new computer? It will be used for the same purpose, programs and storage- no OS.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Ok, this should be the last question I have about completing my new computer system.
I have a 160GB ATA drive in my current HP system. It does not have an OS on it and is used for storage and programs only.
Should I uninstall all the programs that are installed on this drive before I move it to my new computer? It will be used for the same purpose, programs and storage- no OS.

Thanks

No need to remove anything from a storage drive ,that the purpouse of having one ! to save file and if needed take to another computer !
One thing though when you say programs do you mean the programs install EXE or do you mean you install programs on that drive instead of you master drive .

No need to remove anything from a storage drive ,that the purpouse of having one ! to save file and if needed take to another computer !
One thing though when you say programs do you mean the programs install EXE or do you mean you install programs on that drive instead of you master drive .

Hi Caperjack, I download the executable file to this drive and install it into the Program Files folder on this storage drive. So when installing a program I changed the default install path from C:/ to G:/. Should I uninstall these programs and re-install them once the drive is in my new computer?
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Hi Caperjack, I download the executable file to this drive and install it into the Program Files folder on this storage drive. So when installing a program I changed the default install path from C:/ to G:/. Should I uninstall these programs and re-install them once the drive is in my new computer?
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Yes! you are using the drive for more tha storage when you do it that way ,you are insatalling program to the program files folder ,but the system files and registry entries for the programs will be on the C:\ drive ,so if you install a new OS on C:\ and whe nyou go to run the programs on D:\ they will not work as they will have nor registry reference ,in essencee you will have to reinstall the programs anyway .If that makes any sence !

Yes! you are using the drive for more tha storage when you do it that way ,you are insatalling program to the program files folder ,but the system files and registry entries for the programs will be on the C:\ drive ,so if you install a new OS on C:\ and whe nyou go to run the programs on D:\ they will not work as they will have nor registry reference ,in essencee you will have to reinstall the programs anyway .If that makes any sence !

Caperjack, thats what I assumed since installing programs changes parts of the registry (which resides on the primary drive). Since I've kept most of the .exe files it shouldn't be a major problem re-installing them once I move the hard drive.
Thanks again.

Your welcome ,Good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.