I have an older computer that I want to give to a friend. It has a valid XP OS but I have no install discs. Is it possible to reformat this HD and keep this same OS. I just need to make sure any other info is off this HD.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

hi there Sampson.
i don't know how that can be done without the disk. sure you can't find another legal copy of Window's XP?

No, I do not have any other copy of windows XP....that is what I thought but was not sure.

I have an older computer that I want to give to a friend. It has a valid XP OS but I have no install discs. Is it possible to reformat this HD and keep this same OS. I just need to make sure any other info is off this HD.

Hi Sampson,

By the sounds of things you don't really mean the word "format", as this would actually delete the OS in process. If you do mean to format, then I assume you mean that you have a sticker on the box with a Windows XP CDKey, if so, you *may* be able to reinstall the OS using someone else's CD, but using the CDKey on your machine... the big issue here is that the CDKey might be part of a Volume Licence (e.g. Dell will Volume Licence Key's on all their machines, these keys will only work (I believe) with a Windows XP CD that has been customised to accept the Dell Volume Licence's). This therefore means this would be a risky install to attempt.

If you just mean to remove your customised files, you could probably find some software to clean the PC up, but in reality Windows gets more inefficient over time, so a re-install is advisable.

If you really have a valid Windows XP Software licence, I would advise ringing Microsoft to be clear on how you can use your CDKey. You should be able to borrow, or purchase a CD that your key will work with. But Microsoft will be in the best position to advise on what your CDKey will work with.

If you want to risk it with a friend's CD, I advice you use the Microsoft Geniune Advantage Diag Tool first http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ServiceRequest.aspx?displaylang=en). This will display the type of key you are using, so you can see if it is a Volume key or not.

yes you can when the windows start up screen comes up and it tells hold ctrl f11 and it should ask you if you want to reformart or do a system restore and go to restore you will just have to go to windows and get all the service packs that it needs

yes you can when the windows start up screen comes up and it tells hold ctrl f11 and it should ask you if you want to reformart or do a system restore and go to restore you will just have to go to windows and get all the service packs that it needs

Is this accurate....sounds to easy.

Is this accurate....sounds to easy.

only if the computer has a partition on the hdd with the recover on it ,will this work ,you can try by hitting f11 on startup ! it won't byte you .lol

would this work????
%3A1|294%3A50

I don't believe so, that looks like it is a piece of software to get around the activation requirements on Windows XP (where you have to ring Microsoft for an activation code after install).

Why not just delete the files containing your personal info?

Why not just delete the files containing your personal info?

if I did that, would not their still be traces left. Although my friend is trustworthy I do not want to take any chances. I have done taxes and so forth on this old computer.

That's up to you.
Your tax info wouldn't be of any use to anyone but a crook, and a thorough defrag would make it very difficult to get.
Delete your user account and files, everything in docs and settings, all cookies and temp files and you're basically good to go.
The alternative is to make him buy a copy of Windows, or install a free OS like Ubuntu.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.