Just a quick question...

I have an HP Pavilion with Intel Core 2 Duo (the lowly 1.87 Ghz E6300 version). For the most part, it is pretty decent. When I first got it, was pretty happy; thought it was much faster than my last pc...but now I want to pep it up some. I use Illustrator/Photoshop/Flash/Dreamweaver an awful lot, and they can take some time to go through the motions. Which leads me to my question-

I was considering upgrading my motherboard so that I can tinker around and overclock my pc. I came across a nice board at a good price, and also came in a package deal where you can get an Intel Core 2 Duo processor at a discounted price. So, I came up with an idea, but not sure if it is possible or not.

I already have the Intel processor in my pc. If I purchase the package deal I mentioned above (motherboard and processor), I would have two of the same processors. Would I be able to use both of them at the same time? If so, am I correct in assuming that I would see a considerable performance increase?

----------------------------------

If the answer is no, does anyone have any suggestions on the most cost effective ways to speed up a PC on a budget (I have a very small budget for this, I can spend $350 - $400 at the most)? I know that additional RAM is usually the first thing to get, but since I have such a small budget and the PC came with a decent 2GB RAM, I would rather spend the money on other areas first, and if I have enough left over, then add more RAM.

Open to all suggestions, thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 46 Replies

you cant use two motherboards at the same time with different processors(if thats what you mean).Only if you have the right motherboard it will work. Ill assume you have a socket 775. if I was in your shoes I would sell mine and by a processor that has a Increase in Hertz like the Intel Core 2 Duo(3.00 GHz).

Actually, what I meant to ask was, could I run two processors on the same motherboard?

I considered simply upgrading the processor, as you suggested, but after a little researching online, I've found that it would be much more cost efficient to overclock the processor I have now than to replace it with another one. If anyone else is considering overclocking an intel, this is what you can expect with a stock cooling system and a E6300 or E6700 Intel Core 2 Duo; and people routinely hit over 4 Ghz with watercooled systems.
Basically, I can reach 3.Ghz for $150 by upgrading the motherboard, as opposed to spending anywhere between $500-$1000 for an upgraded processor (which is out of my budget even if I wanted to)...plus I would enjoy the various other benefits an aftermarket mobo gives you.

Also, you are correct, mine is a socket 775.

A true geek would spend the money on a decent cooling setup and clock the ring off that lowly 1.87 Ghz E6300 version....hehe!

How can i do that you ask?

The Ultimate Overclocking Guide:
(Read this and learn the art of overclocking)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52812

A true geek would spend the money on a decent cooling setup and clock the ring off that lowly 1.87 Ghz E6300 version....hehe!

I agree digitalocksmith,however my friend here said he doesnt have the money not that he are not willing to spend that much

flynismo:"I can reach 3.Ghz for $150 by upgrading the motherboard, as opposed to spending anywhere between $500-$1000 for an upgraded processor (which is out of my budget even if I wanted to)"

but I can do with that link.

That actually was the original plan, but haven't been able to find a mobo/cooling setup that squeezes into my budget yet. God, I hate being poor!

OT, but I love majorgeeks. I have downloaded so much stuff from that site that I feel guilty....but never even noticed that they have a forum.

You really dont have to outlay that much to get a few extra clock cycles out of your current chip.
And you will notice the difference in performance.

This is what im getting out of my E6420 with only a few extra thermaltake 80mm fans screwed into my case directly opposite the heatsink and northbridge.

Asus striker extreme mobo with nvidia 680i chipest;

[IMG]http://photoserver.ws/files/sdroy6tcbmw3qko7dmb.jpg[/IMG]

fair enough

basicaill you would need to have a mother board that can run 2 processor ( mostly used for Servers.)

Over clocking is not a good idea, especially when you take heating as a factor. better to get a high end processor and adequate cooling. but if you MUSt Overclock stick to the manufacturer rating, better yet stay below by 20 percent. and invest in a good Power supply and cooling.

basicaill you would need to have a mother board that can run 2 processor ( mostly used for Servers.)

Over clocking is not a good idea, especially when you take heating as a factor. better to get a high end processor and adequate cooling. but if you MUSt Overclock stick to the manufacturer rating, better yet stay below by 20 percent. and invest in a good Power supply and cooling.

Well, if I find a board that can handle two processors, would that "double" my PC's performance? Meaning, would the PC be rated at a total of 3.74 Ghz (1.87Ghz x 2)? If that is the case, then that would be enough to shut me up, lol....well, at least for a while. Also, would I need to then purchase any additional components (of course another fan, but would it be mandatory to get additional RAM or anything like that? If so, this would bust my budget and I'm going to cry because I'm getting pretty excited over the thought of 3.74 Ghz without stressing out the PC unnecessarily...)

Over clocking is not a good idea, especially when you take heating as a factor. better to get a high end processor and adequate cooling. but if you MUSt Overclock stick to the manufacturer rating, better yet stay below by 20 percent.

:D Spare me please!

I bet your also one of those Vista haters because you read it somewhere in a mac book, or your next door neighbour told you that it was crap! hehe

I hate it when others advise about a topic that they know very little about and worse still, dont have any 'hands on' experience themselves!

No offence intended!

Kind Regards

I will go at this one with you at a different approach. I am curious to know what speed you RAM is. Also wondering if it is DDR, DDR2, or DDR3. I would suggest simply upgrading your RAM with a higher speed, as well as maxing it out with whatever your mainboard will allow. This will have a huge performance boost. The other simple thing I am curious about is what rpm your harddrive is running. Powerful software will run quicker with a harddrive that has a 10000rpm vs. one with 6600rpm. Check your ram and hardrive speed for me, I am curious to know, then holla back! Good luck with your decision!

How did my post end up here? I hit reply to the guy that wanted to add processors.....WEIRD!!!

I will go at this one with you at a different approach. I am curious to know what speed you RAM is. Also wondering if it is DDR, DDR2, or DDR3. I would suggest simply upgrading your RAM with a higher speed, as well as maxing it out with whatever your mainboard will allow. This will have a huge performance boost. The other simple thing I am curious about is what rpm your harddrive is running. Powerful software will run quicker with a harddrive that has a 10000rpm vs. one with 6600rpm. Check your ram and hardrive speed for me, I am curious to know, then holla back! Good luck with your decision!

Ok, I should have posted this kind of info from the beginning....

The RAM is DDR2- PC2 4200, so I believe the speed it runs at is 533 Mhz. Also, total amount of RAM is 2 GB. The max amount of memory the cpu can support is 8 GB.

The hard drive is a 7200rpm unit, with 250 GB of storage. I also have a 7200rpm external hard drive with 320 GB of storage.

Now before you continue, I just wanted to point something out, not sure if this is relevant or not.
For some reason, although I have 2GB of RAM, no matter how many programs I'm running, the amount of RAM being used rarely goes higher than 1.1 GB....just a little while ago for example, I was running Illustrator CS3, Dreamweaver CS3 and Flash CS3 simultaneously while also listening to iTunes and had three different browsers open. To top it off, my anti virus ran a scheduled scan while I was doing this. Despite all that, the amount of RAM being consumed registered at 1.2 GB...you would think that I would have being running at nearly full capacity. Is there a reason why I am seemingly limited to using only about 60% of available RAM?
On the rare occasions that it registers above 1.1 GB being used, the entire system slows down significantly. That's when programs start locking up on me.

Perhaps I should go at this another way...

Here's what I want to accomplish, while staying inside my budget of $400.

What I use my computer for mainly is building my website. The programs I use every day are:

-Adobe Photoshop CS3, Flash CS3, Illustrator CS3, Dreamweaver CS3, FileZilla, CodeLobster PHP editor and WAMP server. Normally, two or three of those programs are running at any given time.
I also test my website live (I know, I know...) constantly while working on it, so that means opening and closing several different browsers all the time.

Also, after having viruses and spyware drag my computer down to the point that I had to reinstall XP, I learned my lesson and now I run Windows defender in the morning and a full scan with Norton in the evening. Everyday. Overkill? Perhaps...but I don't have a single virus or any spyware, so it's worth it to me.

I also use the computer for the usual....web surfing, music and movies, etc...

So basically, what I'm trying to accomplish is to have my PC:

A) handle multiple applications more effeciently (multi-tasking)
B) run high end programs like the Adobe products run as fast as possible
C) make me coffee and fetch the paper

...all inside as small budget as possible.

This is where I'm confused....not sure if I would be better off just maxing out my RAM, or speeding up my processor as much as possible. Just my opinion, it seems that speeding up the processor is probably the way to go, but I'm no expert at this, so my opinion doesn't count for much, which is why I'm posting here...

Speeding up your work:

- It might be better to have two computers sitting side by side, and have half of those processes on each computer.

- The more processes you have running, the slower each one runs. Plus, the time taken to switch between them is longer.

- A connection to the Internet uses time even if no windows using the Internet are open. Use one computer without any network connections for development, and another to access the Internet.

- Everything you have in your system tray (the program icons on the right end of the taskbar) is using up processor time. Have as few icons there as possible.

- Remember that, although it looks like the computer is doing multiple tasks at once, it is really running only one of the programs at any instant in time. It switches from one program to another every 55 milliseconds. Also remember that Windows takes time to do its mousekeeping.

- Don't set reminders and alarms. They steal CPU time. Use an alarm clock, a wall calendar, or a kitchen timer for that.

- When a video is playing or a disk is being burned, you should have no other windows open. This is because of the next item:

- Remember that there are TWO throughput issues when you are dealing with real-time events. One is the total amount of time it takes to do the job. The other is that real-time events (such as video or audio recording and playback) have to get to the hardware in time to prevent dropouts. The signal can't get through at all if another program has its processor timeslice when the signal is supposed to get there.

- Moving the mouse steals CPU cycles by interrupting the other processes.. Don't fool around with the mouse while you are waiting for a process to finish.

- If you are out of RAM, the computer will be constantly using the disk drive to swap stuff in and out (virtual memory).

- Remember that your virus checker is also running all the time, and taking processor time. But if you have no Internet connection on one computer, you don't need the virus checker running all the time on that one. You need to check only files you bring in from the outside.

- Adding processors, speed, and time do nothing to prevent the timeslice problem. Only reducing the number of simultaneous processes can prevent dropouts.

by the way, a normal motherboard may not fit in an hp case. HP and Dell sometimes use custom size cases and in some cases, power supplies.

Well, you have posted a lot of options/concerns....so here are my thoughts. As for your ram not registering all of the 2gigs that you have, it sounds like maybe you have a video card/processor that may be "sharing" you ram usage.

I work at a school, and we use most of those programs that you mentioned (we have the design suite, and creative suite, and fireworks, etc). Our processors are not that great (running about 2.4), but we have 4 gigs of DDR2 in each unit. One of them has six gigs of memory, and it is still noticeably better. But the ones with four still do extremely well. I use one of them to work on websites, a newspaper, and at the sametime (depending on if students needs help with something) working/showing students how to do certain things. Now I believe this computer would be tapped out if we only had two gigs of ram (if i have time today i might test it by taking out two gigs, which would leave me two-just to see), but they really do work well.

The suggestion about possibly getting another computer to run programs simultaneously would be fine, but I am not sure what quality you will get with your budget. You could go with a refurb, or find a really good sale on a decent computer. This is one of those decisions you will have to make based on suggestions from this board, research you have done, and most importantly-what you feel comfortable with. If I were in your shoes, I would add some RAM. If you can find it on sale, you can add 2gigs for less than $150. Worse case scenario is that you will have a great upgrade to your computer, while possibly getting the performance you are after. By the way, running scans daily is not overkill, it is smart. I have my whole network set to scan after the school closes on a daily basis. Good luck in your decision making process, and let us know what you decide.

FIRST OFF!
Give us all your specs, MoBo/Max RAM Slots/What your case can hold(ie ATX)! You are here for asking about dual CPU's on one MoBo, but I read that you are looking for good suggestions too. To get a good suggestion, we need to know your system specs, in specifics. Its hard giving suggestions when we aren't sure as to what your system can handle and therefore we cant get into detail with our searches to help you out in the end.

After you post your specs ill be glad to search for cost appropriate additions/replacements for your computer and therefore increasing performance.

Now before you continue, I just wanted to point something out, not sure if this is relevant or not.
For some reason, although I have 2GB of RAM, no matter how many programs I'm running, the amount of RAM being used rarely goes higher than 1.1 GB....just a little while ago for example, I was running Illustrator CS3, Dreamweaver CS3 and Flash CS3 simultaneously while also listening to iTunes and had three different browsers open. To top it off, my anti virus ran a scheduled scan while I was doing this. Despite all that, the amount of RAM being consumed registered at 1.2 GB...you would think that I would have being running at nearly full capacity. Is there a reason why I am seemingly limited to using only about 60% of available RAM?
On the rare occasions that it registers above 1.1 GB being used, the entire system slows down significantly. That's when programs start locking up on me.

I have noticed the same type of thing on my system. I can be running COD4 and running tons of other stuff(ie nero, itunes, web browsers, CSS). When i check the amount of memory being used it changes depending on what program/game is my correctly viewed browser and also if it is minimized or not, not just sitting behind another window. Even tho this does not make since it is possible, using my system as an example. It may be a coincidence, but I'm not convinced quite yet.

The RAM is DDR2- PC2 4200, so I believe the speed it runs at is 533 Mhz. Also, total amount of RAM is 2 GB.

The max amount of memory the cpu can support is 8 GB.

Do you mean the maximum memory supported by your MoBo? I haven't ever heard of CPU's limiting the amount of RAM you can use.

FIRST OFF!
Give us all your specs, MoBo/Max RAM Slots/What your case can hold(ie ATX)! You are here for asking about dual CPU's on one MoBo, but I read that you are looking for good suggestions too. To get a good suggestion, we need to know your system specs, in specifics. Its hard giving suggestions when we aren't sure as to what your system can handle and therefore we cant get into detail with our searches to help you out in the end.

After you post your specs ill be glad to search for cost appropriate additions/replacements for your computer and therefore increasing performance.

Cool, thank you...give me a couple minutes and I'll post complete specs.

General overview of system...I copy/pasted this report from a program called SiSoftware Sandra. [shameless_plug] It is a great little tool that I recommend everyone to download [/shameless_plug]....

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
Speed : 1.87GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Internal Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

System
System : HP Pavilion 061 RC663AA-ABA a1640n
Mainboard : ASUSTek Computer INC. Buckeye
Bus(es) : ISA PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.17
Total Memory : 1.99GB

Chipset
Model : HP P965/G965 Memory Controller Hub
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 267MHz (1.07GHz)
Shared Memory : 8MB

Video System
Adapter : Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family (PCI, PS 2.0)

Physical Storage Devices
SAMSUNG SP2504C 250GB (SATA300, NCQ, 8MB Cache) : 233GB (C:) (D:)
Generic USB SD Reader (USB) : N/A (F:)
Generic USB CF Reader (USB) : N/A (G:)
Generic USB SM Reader (USB) : N/A (H:)
Generic USB MS Reader (USB) : N/A (I:)
WD 3200AAJ External 320GB (USB) : 298GB (J:) (K:)
HP Officejet 7410xi (USB) : N/A (N:)
HL-DT-STDVDRRW GSA-H30L (ATAPI, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (E:)
QP4154R JJK015Y (SCSI, DVD+-R-DL, CD-R) : N/A (L:)

Logical Storage Devices
HP_PAVILION (C:) : 224GB (NTFS) @ SAMSUNG SP2504C 250GB (SATA300, NCQ, 8MB Cache)
HP_RECOVERY (D:) : 9GB (FAT32) @ SAMSUNG SP2504C 250GB (SATA300, NCQ, 8MB Cache)
CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A @ HL-DT-STDVDRRW GSA-H30L (ATAPI, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
CD-ROM/DVD (L:) : N/A @ QP4154R JJK015Y (SCSI, DVD+-R-DL, CD-R)
Removable Drive (F:) : N/A @ Generic USB SD Reader (USB)
Removable Drive (G:) : N/A @ Generic USB CF Reader (USB)
Removable Drive (H:) : N/A @ Generic USB SM Reader (USB)
Removable Drive (I:) : N/A @ Generic USB MS Reader (USB)
Removable Drive (N:) : N/A @ HP Officejet 7410xi (USB)
Linux (J:) : 202GB (NTFS) @ WD 3200AAJ External 320GB (USB)
Mac OS X (K:) : 51GB (NTFS) @ WD 3200AAJ External 320GB (USB)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : HP 82801HH (ICH8DH) LPC Interface Controller
LPC Hub Controller 2 : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller
Audio Device : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Realtek Semiconductor ??? (0885)
Serial Port(s) : 1
USB Controller 1 : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #4
USB Controller 2 : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #5
USB Controller 3 : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI #2
USB Controller 4 : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #1
USB Controller 5 : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #2
USB Controller 6 : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #3
USB Controller 7 : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI #1
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : HP FW322/323 IEEE1394 OHCI FireWire Controller
System SMBus Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Amyuni Document Converter 2.50 (1200x1200, Parallel, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Printer : HP remote printers (Colour)
Printer : HP Officejet 7400 series fax (USB, Colour)
Printer : HP Officejet 7400 series (USB, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Scanners and Cameras
Scanner : HP Officejet 7400 series ()

Network Services
Network Adapter : Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP (2002) Professional Media Center 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
Platform Compliance : x86

Detailed processor info:

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Bus : Intel AGTL+
Package : FC LGA775
Rated Speed/FSB : 1.86GHz / 4x 266MHz
Multiplier : 7/1x
Minimum/Maximum Multiplier : 6/1x - 7/1x
Generation : G8
Name : C2DC (Conroe) Core 2 Duo 65nm 2.4-3.33GHz 1.0375-1.3V
Revision/Stepping : F / 6 (0)
Stepping Mask : B2
Microcode : MU060F06C6
Core Voltage Rating : 1.325V
Min/Max Core Voltage : 0.825V - 1.325V
Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 36-bit / 48-bit
Native Page Size : 4kB

Co-Processor (FPU)
Type : Built-in
Revision/Stepping : F / 6 (0)

Cache Information
Internal Data Cache : 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
Internal Instruction Cache : 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Back, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
L2 Cache Multiplier : 1/1x

Upgradeability
Socket/Slot : Socket 775
Upgrade Interface : ZIF Socket
Supported Speed(s) : 3.80GHz

Processor Power Management
Processor Throttling Support : Yes
Throttle Range : 85% - 100%

Environment Monitor 1
Model : Intel Core CPU [P1, C2, M0]
Version : 15.06
Mainboard Specific Support : No

Power Rating(s)
CPU Core Power : 45.82W

Sensors
CPU Temperature : 67.00°C td

Features
FPU - Co-Processor Built-in : Yes
VME - Virtual Mode Extensions : Yes
DE - Debugging Extension : Yes
PSE - Page Size Extension : Yes
TSC - Time Stamp Counter : Yes
MSR - Model Specific Registers : Yes
PAE - Physical Address Extension : Yes
MCE - Machine Check Exception : Yes
CX8 - Compare & Exchange 8-bytes Instruction : Yes
APIC - Local APIC Built-in : Yes
SEP - Fast System Call : Yes
MTRR - Memory Type Range Registers : Yes
PGE - Page Global Enable : Yes
MCA - Machine Check Architecture : Yes
PAT - Page Attribute Table : Yes
PSE36 - 36-bit Page Size Extension : Yes
PSN - Unique Serial Number : No
CLF - Cache Line Flush Support : Yes
DS - Debug Trace & EMON Store : Yes
ACPI - Software Clock Control : Yes
(W)MMX Technology : Yes
FXSR - Fast Float Save & Restore : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes
SSE2 Technology : Yes
SS - Self Snoop : Yes
HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : Yes
TM - Thermal Monitor : Yes
PBE - Pending Break Enable : Yes
IA64 Technology : No
SSE3 Technology : Yes
PCLMULQDQ - Carryless Multiplication : No
MON - Monitor/MWait : Yes
DSCPL - CPL qualified Debug Store : Yes
VMX - Virtual Machine eXtensions : Yes
TXT - Trust Execution Technology : No
EIST - Enhanced SpeedStep Technology : Yes
TM2 - Thermal Monitor 2 : Yes
Supplemental SSE3 Technology : Yes
CID - Context ID : No
FMA - Fused Multiply Add eXtensions : Yes
CX16 - Compare & Exchange 16-bytes Instruction : Yes
xTPR - Send Task Priority Messages : Yes
PDCM - PerfMon and Debug : Yes
DCA - Direct Cache Access : No
SSE4.1 Technology : No
SSE4.2 Technology : No
x2APIC - v2 APIC Mode : No
POPCNT - Pop Count : No
AES - Cryptography Support : No
XSAVE - eXtended State Management : No
OSXSAVE - OS Enabled eXtended States : No
FMA - Fused Multiply Add eXtensions : No
DAZ - Denormals Are Zero : Yes

Extended Features
EMMX - Extended MMX Technology : No
3DNow! Technology : No
Extended 3DNow! Technology : No
XD/NX - No-execute Page Protection : Yes
AMD64/EM64T Technology : Yes

Power Management Features
DTSC - Digital Thermal Sensor Capability : Yes
IDA - Dynamic Acceleration Technology : No
HCFC - Hardware Coordination Feedback Capability : Yes

Advanced Settings
Data Error Checking : No
I/O Queue Depth : 8 request(s)
PM - Performance Monitoring Support : Yes
PEBS - Precise Event Based Sampling Support : Yes
TM - Thermal Monitor : Yes
TM2 - Thermal Monitor 2 : No
EIST - Enhanced SpeedStep Technology : Yes

Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP) Settings
Bootstrap CPU : Yes
Global APIC Engaged : Yes
APIC Cluster ID : 0
Arbitration ID : 0

Machine Check Architecture Settings
Number of Reporting Banks : 6

Variable Range MTRR Settings
MTRR 0 : 00000000-7FFFFFFF WB
MTRR 1 : 7F800000-7FFFFFFF UC
MTRR 2 : 7F700000-7F7FFFFF UC

Fixed Range MTRR Settings
MTRR 0 Range 0 : 00000000-0000FFFF WB
MTRR 0 Range 1 : 00010000-0001FFFF WB
MTRR 0 Range 2 : 00020000-0002FFFF WB
MTRR 0 Range 3 : 00030000-0003FFFF WB
MTRR 0 Range 4 : 00040000-0004FFFF WB
MTRR 0 Range 5 : 00050000-0005FFFF WB
MTRR 0 Range 6 : 00060000-0006FFFF WB
MTRR 0 Range 7 : 00070000-0007FFFF WB
MTRR 1 Range 0 : 00080000-00083FFF WB
MTRR 1 Range 1 : 00084000-00087FFF WB
MTRR 1 Range 2 : 00088000-0008BFFF WB
MTRR 1 Range 3 : 0008C000-0008FFFF WB
MTRR 1 Range 4 : 00090000-00093FFF WB
MTRR 1 Range 5 : 00094000-00097FFF WB
MTRR 1 Range 6 : 00098000-0009BFFF WB
MTRR 1 Range 7 : 0009C000-0009FFFF WB
MTRR 2 Range 0 : 000A0000-000A3FFF UC
MTRR 2 Range 1 : 000A4000-000A7FFF UC
MTRR 2 Range 2 : 000A8000-000ABFFF UC
MTRR 2 Range 3 : 000AC000-000AFFFF UC
MTRR 2 Range 4 : 000B0000-000B3FFF UC
MTRR 2 Range 5 : 000B4000-000B7FFF UC
MTRR 2 Range 6 : 000B8000-000BBFFF UC
MTRR 2 Range 7 : 000BC000-000BFFFF UC
MTRR 3 Range 0 : 000C0000-000C0FFF WP
MTRR 3 Range 1 : 000C1000-000C1FFF WP
MTRR 3 Range 2 : 000C2000-000C2FFF WP
MTRR 3 Range 3 : 000C3000-000C3FFF WP
MTRR 3 Range 4 : 000C4000-000C4FFF WP
MTRR 3 Range 5 : 000C5000-000C5FFF WP
MTRR 3 Range 6 : 000C6000-000C6FFF WP
MTRR 3 Range 7 : 000C7000-000C7FFF WP
MTRR 4 Range 0 : 000C8000-000C8FFF WP
MTRR 4 Range 1 : 000C9000-000C9FFF WP
MTRR 4 Range 2 : 000CA000-000CAFFF WP
MTRR 4 Range 3 : 000CB000-000CBFFF UC
MTRR 4 Range 4 : 000CC000-000CCFFF UC
MTRR 4 Range 5 : 000CD000-000CDFFF UC
MTRR 4 Range 6 : 000CE000-000CEFFF UC
MTRR 4 Range 7 : 000CF000-000CFFFF UC
MTRR 5 Range 0 : 000D0000-000D0FFF UC
MTRR 5 Range 1 : 000D1000-000D1FFF UC
MTRR 5 Range 2 : 000D2000-000D2FFF UC
MTRR 5 Range 3 : 000D3000-000D3FFF UC
MTRR 5 Range 4 : 000D4000-000D4FFF UC
MTRR 5 Range 5 : 000D5000-000D5FFF UC
MTRR 5 Range 6 : 000D6000-000D6FFF UC
MTRR 5 Range 7 : 000D7000-000D7FFF UC
MTRR 6 Range 0 : 000D8000-000D8FFF UC
MTRR 6 Range 1 : 000D9000-000D9FFF UC
MTRR 6 Range 2 : 000DA000-000DAFFF UC
MTRR 6 Range 3 : 000DB000-000DBFFF UC
MTRR 6 Range 4 : 000DC000-000DCFFF UC
MTRR 6 Range 5 : 000DD000-000DDFFF UC
MTRR 6 Range 6 : 000DE000-000DEFFF UC
MTRR 6 Range 7 : 000DF000-000DFFFF UC
MTRR 7 Range 0 : 000E0000-000E0FFF UC
MTRR 7 Range 1 : 000E1000-000E1FFF UC
MTRR 7 Range 2 : 000E2000-000E2FFF UC
MTRR 7 Range 3 : 000E3000-000E3FFF UC
MTRR 7 Range 4 : 000E4000-000E4FFF UC
MTRR 7 Range 5 : 000E5000-000E5FFF UC
MTRR 7 Range 6 : 000E6000-000E6FFF UC
MTRR 7 Range 7 : 000E7000-000E7FFF UC
MTRR 8 Range 0 : 000E8000-000E8FFF UC
MTRR 8 Range 1 : 000E9000-000E9FFF UC
MTRR 8 Range 2 : 000EA000-000EAFFF UC
MTRR 8 Range 3 : 000EB000-000EBFFF UC
MTRR 8 Range 4 : 000EC000-000ECFFF UC
MTRR 8 Range 5 : 000ED000-000EDFFF UC
MTRR 8 Range 6 : 000EE000-000EEFFF UC
MTRR 8 Range 7 : 000EF000-000EFFFF UC
MTRR 9 Range 0 : 000F0000-000F0FFF WP
MTRR 9 Range 1 : 000F1000-000F1FFF WP
MTRR 9 Range 2 : 000F2000-000F2FFF WP
MTRR 9 Range 3 : 000F3000-000F3FFF WP
MTRR 9 Range 4 : 000F4000-000F4FFF WP
MTRR 9 Range 5 : 000F5000-000F5FFF WP
MTRR 9 Range 6 : 000F6000-000F6FFF WP
MTRR 9 Range 7 : 000F7000-000F7FFF WP
MTRR 10 Range 0 : 000F8000-000F8FFF WP
MTRR 10 Range 1 : 000F9000-000F9FFF WP
MTRR 10 Range 2 : 000FA000-000FAFFF WP
MTRR 10 Range 3 : 000FB000-000FBFFF WP
MTRR 10 Range 4 : 000FC000-000FCFFF WP
MTRR 10 Range 5 : 000FD000-000FDFFF WP
MTRR 10 Range 6 : 000FE000-000FEFFF WP
MTRR 10 Range 7 : 000FF000-000FFFFF WP

PAT Settings
PAT 0 : WB
PAT 1 : WC
PAT 2 : UC-
PAT 3 : UC
PAT 4 : WB
PAT 5 : WC
PAT 6 : UC-
PAT 7 : UC

Performance Tips
Tip 210 : Mainboard supports faster CPUs, so the CPU can be upgraded when needed.
Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Warning 215 : CPU temperature is too high! Check fan(s)!
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

Detailed mainboard/chipsets info:

SiSoftware Sandra

System
Manufacturer : HP Pavilion 061
Model : RC663AA-ABA a1640n
Family : 103C_53316J
Version : 0nx1114RE101BUCKE00

Mainboard
Manufacturer : ASUSTek Computer INC.
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
MPS Version : 1.40
Model : Buckeye
Version : 1.05
System BIOS : 08/21/2007-Broadwater-P5BW-LA-00

On-board Devices
Other : Other (Disabled)
Video Adapter : Video Adapter (Enabled)
Ethernet Adapter : Ethernet Adapter (Enabled)
Sound Adapter : Sound Adapter (Enabled)

System Memory Controller
Error Correction Capability : None
Number of Memory Slots : 4
Maximum Installable Memory : 4GB
Bank0/1 - A0 : None None None None DIMM Synchronous DDR2 1GB/64 @ 533MHz
Bank2/3 - A1 : Empty
Bank4/5 - A2 : None None None None DIMM Synchronous DDR2 1GB/64 @ 533MHz
Bank6/7 - A3 : Empty

Chipset
Model : HP P965/G965 Memory Controller Hub
Revision : A3
Bus : Intel AGTL+
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 267MHz (1.07GHz)
Maximum FSB Speed : 4x 333MHz (1.33GHz)
Width : 64-bit
I/O Queue Depth : 12 request(s)
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 8.34GB/s

Chipset 1 Hub Interface
Type : DMI (Direct Media Interface)
Version : 1.00
Number of Ports : 4
In/Out Width : 4-bit / 4-bit
Multiplier : 3/1x
Speed : 1x 100MHz (100MHz)

APIC 1
Version : 2.00
Multiplier : 1/2x
Maximum Interrupts : 24
IRQ Handler Engaged : Yes
Enhanced Support : Yes

Memory Module 1
Manufacturer : Samsung
Model : M3 78T2953CZ3-CD5
Serial Number : F633A251
Type : 1GB DIMM DDR2
Technology : 16x(64Mx8)
Speed : PC2-4300U DDR2-267
Standard Timings : 4.0-4-4-11 2-15-4-2
Version : 1.2
Date of Manufacture : Sunday, April 15, 2007
Memory DC Line : 1.80V
Set Timing @ 267MHz : 5.0-4-4-11 2-15-4-2
Set Timing @ 267MHz : 4.0-4-4-11 2-15-4-2
Set Timing @ 200MHz : 3.0-3-3-8 2-11-3-2

Memory Module 2
Manufacturer : Samsung
Model : M3 78T2953CZ3-CD5
Serial Number : F633A1D5
Type : 1GB DIMM DDR2
Technology : 16x(64Mx8)
Speed : PC2-4300U DDR2-267
Standard Timings : 4.0-4-4-11 2-15-4-2
Version : 1.2
Date of Manufacture : Sunday, April 15, 2007
Memory DC Line : 1.80V
Set Timing @ 267MHz : 5.0-4-4-11 2-15-4-2
Set Timing @ 267MHz : 4.0-4-4-11 2-15-4-2
Set Timing @ 200MHz : 3.0-3-3-8 2-11-3-2

Environment Monitor 1
Model : Intel Core CPU [P1, C2, M0]
Version : 15.06
Mainboard Specific Support : No

Temperature Sensor(s)
CPU Temperature : 66.00°C td

System Bus(es) on Hub 1
Version : 2.30
System Bus 0 : PCI
System Bus 1 : PCIe 1.00 x16 2.5Gbps
System Bus 2 : PCI66

LPC Hub Controller 1
Model : HP 82801HH (ICH8DH) LPC Interface Controller
ACPI Power Management Enabled : Yes
Advanced TCO Mode Enabled : Yes
High Precision Timer Enabled : Yes
Number of Precision Timers : 3
System Timer : 14.32MHz
Delayed Transaction Enabled : Yes

LPC Hub Controller 2
Model : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller

Audio Device
Model : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
Type : HD (High-Definition) Audio
Number of In / Out / Bi-Directional Streams : 4 / 4 / 0
Number of Serial Data Streams : 1

Audio Codec
Model : Realtek Semiconductor ??? (0885)
Revision : A2
Audio Channels : 12

USB Controller 1
Model : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #4
Version : 1.10
Interface : UHCI
Channels : 2
Speed : 48MHz
Supported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps)
Legacy Emulation Enabled : No

USB Controller 2
Model : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #5

USB Controller 3
Model : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI #2
Specification : 1.00
Interface : EHCI
Channels : 4
Companion Controllers : 2
Supported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps) High (480Mbps)
Addressing Support : 64-bit

USB Controller 4
Model : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #1

USB Controller 5
Model : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #2

USB Controller 6
Model : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #3

USB Controller 7
Model : HP 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI #1
Specification : 1.00
Interface : EHCI
Channels : 6
Companion Controllers : 3
Supported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps) High (480Mbps)
Addressing Support : 64-bit

FireWire/1394 Controller 1
Model : HP FW322/323 IEEE1394 OHCI FireWire Controller
Revision : H1
Interface : OHCI
Enhanced Support : No
Channels : 64
Speed : 400MHz

System SMBus Controller 1
Model : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus
Version : 0.02
Specification : 2.00
Advanced TCO Mode Enabled : No
Slave Device Enabled : Yes
PEC Support : Yes
Speed : 100kHz

Expansion Slot(s)
PCI1 (1h) : PCI 32-bit +5V PME Half-Length Available
PCI2 (2h) : PCI 32-bit +5V PME Half-Length Used
PCI3 (3h) : PCI 32-bit +5V PME Half-Length Available
PCI4 (4h) : PCI 32-bit +5V PME Half-Length Available
PCI5 (5h) : PCI 32-bit +5V PME Half-Length Available
PCIEX16 : PCIe x16 +5V PME Half-Length Available

Port Connector(s)
PRIMARY IDE : ATA
FDD : 8251 FIFO / Floppy Disk
PS/2 Keyboard : Keyboard / PS/2 / PS/2
PS/2 Mouse : Mouse / PS/2 / PS/2
USB1 : USB
USB2 : USB
USB3 : USB
USB4 : USB
USB5 : USB
USB6 : USB
USB7 : USB
USB8 : USB
USB9 : USB
USB10 : USB
VIDEO : Video / DB-15 pin female
Line In - Line In : Audio
Back Surround L/R - Back Surround L/R : Audio / Mini-jack
Side Surround L/R - Side Surround L/R : Audio / Mini-jack
Center/LFE - Center/LFE : Audio / Mini-jack
ETHERNET : Network / RJ-45

Performance Tips
Tip 2532 : Consider adding more CPUs for better utilisation.
Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Tip 2511 : Some memory slots are free so the memory can be easily upgraded.
Warning 2518 : Mainboard temperature is too high.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

Quick question about above report-

It says that maximum installable memory is 4GB....but other sources indicate that my max is 8 GB. Is this due to my main operating system (Windows XP); i.e. can XP only support up to 4 GB?

Do you mean the maximum memory supported by your MoBo? I haven't ever heard of CPU's limiting the amount of RAM you can use.

yep, sorry should have clarified....mobo supports maximum of 8,192 MB

Quick question about above report-

It says that maximum installable memory is 4GB....but other sources indicate that my max is 8 GB. Is this due to my main operating system (Windows XP); i.e. can XP only support up to 4 GB?

You may have 4gb installed, but the part about your max being 8gb, those sources may be saying how much ram is supported by your MoBo

Also i would like to add that Windows XP 32bit only supports a maximum of 3GB of RAM, if there is more than 3GB installed you will simply be wasting money on that extra RAM, unless you switch to Windows XP 64bit. 64Bit can hold a godly amount of RAM.

You may have 4gb installed, but the part about your max being 8gb, those sources may be saying how much ram is supported by your MoBo

Okay, gotcha...actually, I only have 2 GB installed, it's saying that the maximum I can install is 4 GB.....I was wondering if the mobo supports 8 GB, but my operating system may only support 4 GB...if that's the case, would it be a waste of money to go above 4 GB?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.