Everyone

I've run into a problem with an XP Home SP2 box that seems to have a problem with the default (\\computername) share. For some reason, I cannot access this system's shares over the network. The firewalls have been disabled, the server service is running, and I've created new test shared folders with full access and I still seem to be unable to get in the box. I believe malware may have corrupted something in Windows that is hosing up the works (Malwarebytes got 408 hits). I think installing SP3 might resolve the issue, but if not, I would like to know if there is a way to restore the default shares or server service on an XP Home box, without going through a restore point. Thanks.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by cguan_77

Create new workgroup in network places
and then other side where u sharing file add ur pc to that workgroup
( go to mycomputer >properties> computer name> click on change > enter same name of 1st pc and press ok)
and then see if not work instantly then restart and try agian

Also try to hit \\computer\c$ , where c is the letter of the local harddrive. I have seen instances where the default share won't work, but the drive will. The drive shares (c$) won't show up under the computer's list.

While this doesn't solve your problem it gives you a direction in what you should be looking at.

hi, try to setup a new connection...open up IE go to Tools, Internet Options..then go to Tab Connections and click setup...
check if it will help....

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.